Skip to main content

Words Are Important

I am one of those annoying folks who will use move quotes in my daily conversation. Luckily I have a friend or two who also participates in such nonsense and so we run with it as often a we can. I will share some of my faves and how I have used them in a bit, but I just want to explain why words are important.

The obvious is they convey everything we need someone, even ourselves, to know. In some cases, our poor choice of words can get us into hot water or our excellent choice makes us shine. But sometimes we just don't know how to say what we need to say so we do what comes natural . We borrow or steal someone else's words. There is the infamous quote "Good artists copy, great artists steal." attributed to Picasso, but was actually written by T.S. Eliot in his book, The Sacred Wood: Essays on Poetry and Criticism. (See paragraph 5 and replace 'artists' with 'poets') I don't steal in my own writing, though I admit certain phrases uttered by an Edith Wharton character or two has made me think of ways to sound refined yet removed from the situation.

Anyway, there are times yelling out "It's good to be the King." works. There are also times speaking as if you were Hudson on the original "Upstairs Downstairs" also fits. At least in my world with my one particular friend who is as big an Anglophile as myself. Without further ado, here are lines written by others in book or in films, I have tossed around in conversations, just used randomly or when the situation calls for it and I am not ashamed one bit.

A Room with a View - "I never venture forth without my mackintosh squares." - Eleanor Lavish

"Here is where the bird sings! Here is where the sky is blue!" You have to point at your heart like Denholm Elliott did as well.

"Did you know you were a Leonardo?" -  Cecil Vyse

"Mr. Beebe, matches!" - Freddie Honeychurch

"Beauty!" - George Emerson

I have yelled out "Helllooo!" like Mrs. Doubtfire on many occasions. No one gets it.



Family Guy - "It's good to have land."

Wings of the Dove - "Look at my view Milly, isn't it wonderful?"  - Lord Mark

30 Rock -  "What the what?"   "I want to go to there." -  Liz Lemon

Sense and Sensibility  "Do sit down."  To be fair this phrase is in every Jane Austen book/film so can be ascribed to more than one character.

"Do be careful girls, the horses have been here."  - Mrs. Jennings.

Rosemary's Baby - I adore the book and the film and the creepiest line for my friend and I is when Roman Castevet says, "To 1966! The year 1!"

The Producers - "That's it baby when you got it flaunt it! Flaunt it!"  

One of the best deliveries of a line ever.

I have tons more, but unfortunately my son with a cold needs my attention so off I go. Have a beautiful weekend.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. Happy New year old bean , hoping 2016 will be a cracker xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will too!! Happy New Year to you, the Prof and all those lovely animals :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi