Skip to main content

Social Media, Progress and Amen

When you are a writer, they say you need to have a web presence. Makes sense since your job is pretty much to make sure the entire world knows you are selling wonderful tales of (insert genre here) that they will want to read over and over. If you have fan they will want a way to connect with you and even possibly engage in banter if you allow them. Also, your agent and publisher need to make some bucks from investing in you. Promotions, tours, and maybe one day having you get on NPR or Charlie Rose is what they strive for and they are not wrong.
This means I keep toying with signing back up for Facebook. While I am no fan of what it perpetuates, it really is one of the easier ways to stay in touch with those we love that live near and far. It also allows you to cultivate a nice fan base which is crucial when you chose to embark upon a creative endeavor. Or just want to self promote. Shamelessly of course. :)
While I have this blog, I have been remiss about keeping it up. Part of the reason is the actual novel and the query letter, more on that later, and the other part is I have not had much to say. Even if I did, sometimes I didn't think it is blog worthy. But perhaps I am wrong. Allow me to share such minutiae.
My son now has a thing for navel oranges and tangerines. This was brought about because my husband and I have decided to no longer eat sugary sweets or potato chips. No big deal you think, but in our house Trader Joe's Hawaiian BBQ chips were filed under food group. Oh the shame...I also have high cholesterol that has not seemed to budge with diet or exercise which made food changes necessary. So far, so good. We have a lot more fruits and veggies in our diet and as pescetarians I am embarrassed we were not eating this way all along. I admit my exercise sessions seems sharper and I feel better and less sluggish and not as easily irritated. Inflammation in my body is lowering I gather and that is a very good thing considering heart disease really loves the paternal side of my family. So that is that.

I have been reading a very clever and funny book by Margaret Atwood called The Penelopiad. I don't always enjoy when an author chooses to retell a story, all those damn vampire/zombie/Jane Austen books please just stop already. But this one, from the point of view of Penelope with of Odysseus from The Odyssey is marvelous.
One of the reasons I picked up her book is I had read an author's story about how she could not figure out what was wrong with her own fantasy genre book. After putting it in a drawer, she went and got hold of a bunch of different fantasy novels and read. Just read. To see what was missing in her own book and it was an eye opener.
Now, I follow Neil Gaiman's "rule" of read everything you can because you cannot create worlds if you don't understand how the actual one and the ones created by other authors exist. The one thing I have NOT been reading was fantasy for fear I would end up incorporating someone else's idea in my book or seeing something similar to what I wrote was there and freaking out.
Foolish and silly.
Off I went to the library and looked high and low for many a book, but most of the first in a series was missing so I grabbed me a good 'ol stand-by, Margaret Atwood. I think for my next read, brace yourselves, will be "American Gods". The one novel I have avoided the whole time I have been working on my book. Which leads me to the next thing.

The query letter is done. Yes, done. Yes, I screamed with joy. Pure, unadulterated joy. I am not ashamed to say this has been exhausting and liberating. Yesterday, after much struggle I decided to read the back of a few famous novels for inspiration. It was when I read the second one that the clouds lifted, birds sang and ten thousand pounds of pressure left my brain. Once again, I have Neil Gaiman, along with Terry Pratchett, to thank and their novel Good Omens. The synopsis on the back of the book is probably one of the best I have ever read and I am indebted to those words for breaking me out of my block. The gentleman I have hired to critique my letter may hate it or love it or think I am insane, but for me it is progress. Can I get an Amen???



So there you have it my dears. Though if I was on Facebook you would know all this already without all the filler. :)

Cheers!
MissFifi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …