Skip to main content

Annoyed

When anyone has a child you accumulate clothing like a squirrel accumulates food for the winter. Okay, stupid analogy, but the truth is our son has been fortunate enough to get a lot of nice clothes during his three and a half years here on earth. While we have donated quite a bit and passed stuff onto friends, I admit I wanted to get a little bank back for some of the things we have purchased. A friend had recommended consignment, but around our area if it is not high end labels like Jacadi or even Janie and Jack, they will not even look at the items. One place even had Ferragamo shoes for a four year old. No, I am not kidding. So for those of us who chose to dress our kids in Gymboree and not Ralph Lauren cashmere, there is a place called Once Upon A Child. You bring in bags or bins and they go through and see what they will purchase and give you cash on the spot. The two times I used the location in Fairfield, NJ I got $13 and $25 bucks. Not much to write home about, but it is something.
A new location opened about twenty minutes away so I decided to give it a shot. The reviews I read on Google and Yelp were not all that great, but I figured I would take a chance. Now, each place is owned individually so while I am sure there are standards to what they will take, I was hopeful the booster seat, unopened swim floaty and barely worn winter boots would be a hit. My bin and small bag which had lots of nice clothes was probably worth close to $250.
I made $3.70.
They took one pair of Stride Rite shoes and one pair of Carter's pajamas.
The look on my face when the young woman told me there was a stain on the booster seat and that they could not take infant stuff unless it was an actual outfit was incredulous. When she asked if I wanted to "cash out", like it was some big ass win, or take the items back I took the $3.70. I wasted more in gas getting there then they paid me. That was a serious waste of my time. Best part is, I watched them hand other people back full bins of decent stuff and one guy brought in a beautiful hand painted horse that they turned away because Target sells one unpainted for $65 and his was custom. What the what??
Prior to this I did walk around and to be honest, a lot of the items were not in great condition. When I checked clothes for my son, there were pilled/faded sweatshirts and t-shirts. Um, what?
Needless to say, I will make more money donating the clothing and getting a tax write off. Hell, I would get more at a yard sale. As someone pointed out in their review, this place is making a serious profit, which yes is the point of business, but low balling items that have never been worn or making up fake problems with stuff is another.
So if anyone wants a Fisher Price booster seat, that has a stain, let me know :)

Cheers!
MissFif



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …