Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Catching Up

Hello my dears. So much going on and so much not going on. Gotta love great weather to make one lounge or be busy.

Our little guy only has two more days of school. Amazing how fast the year went. Seriously, no matter how many times people tell you the time flies, it really, really does. Soon enough he will be dating and driving and I will have a full head of gray hair. :)

Yellow Jackets have come back to our porch. And like last year, though in a different spot, the entrance is between a brick column and bead board, so God only knows how big the nest is. While I am all for live and let live, that does not apply when it is next to my porch swing where we like to hang out so the exterminator has been called. I sort of feel bad, but I have no desire for any of us to get stung and they have been incredibly active today. Our son is obsessed with the little buggers so we watched them this am and I found this really cool video about them and the layers of their nest. Very interesting.


We have joined a different CSA this year and our first pick up is tomorrow. Here is what we are getting.

Asparagus, beets, lettuce, arugula, kale, swiss chard, potted flower, rhubarb, radish, spinach, zucchini and 2 tomatoes.

We are giddy over here. What is really great is we are sent a survey at the beginning of the week showing what we are getting and are able to substitute items if there is something we do not want. Now, while i have never made rhubarb, I have decided to give it a shot and hope to find something cool to make with it besides pie.

About a week ago I thought our iPad and Chromebook batteries were dying, thankfully, they are both hanging in there. Though I admit the iPad's charge is not what it used to be, but so far so good.

I have been finding awesome free stuff to do in our area. The Envionmental Educational Center in Somerset County is fantastic. In the building there are pamphlets, a calendar of classes, classrooms, a library and lots of interesting bugs to check out. Our son was taken by the petri dishes and microscope. The trails are great and there is a nice outdoor space with a turtle and frog filled pond. We also spotted a fishing spider which he loved. There are dragonflies, an herb garden and texture gardens, just beautiful. Right up the road is The Raptor Trust which I would like to check out this summer and right after that is the Great Swamp Watershed Association. I totally appreciate having access to places like these so giving a donation or buying a small token from the gift shop is totally worth it to me.

Did a lot of weeding over the weekend and threw tons of cheap wildflower seeds throughout the briar patch area. I hope they take over and crowd out the weeds at some point. It would be nice to look back into that area and see a meadow of flowers mixed in with the tall grasses.

I got a bunch of old baby clothes I was saving because I can be a pack rat and am hoping to bring them to a store to sell for some cash. I also found maternity clothing and will be donating a bag of that and other stuff that the store won't buy and give it to a woman's shelter. Better to have that stuff go somewhere it can be used than have it sit in a bin for some sort of odd sentimental reason. I am not knocking anyone who keeps their stuff, the whole Marie Kondo obsession baffles me, but for me there is no reason to save everything. I have some baby stuff of his I will not let go of. Even if it no longer "sparks joy".
Now, about the Marie Kondo tidying up sensation. Did I miss something? Hasn't Martha Stewart and her ilk been encouraging use to organize for years?? Or maybe Martha has to much crap so the minimalists in the world have pushed the less is more mantra for quite some time. What is it about Marie Kondo that is any different? is it because she makes you think your clothes and cups have feelings? That she talks about how we, say it ain't so, put feelings into our things? Granted the way she folds things looks nice, but hanging it on a hanger works just as well if one does not have that many clothes like moi. I mean, God bless if she has motivated people to finally sort and clear out, but does no one see where this all stems from for her? She has admitted her family did not care much for her so she started to clean and straighten up for attention. She directed her love to things. Things. Inanimate objects. Like forks and bras and plates. Come on man. I find it odd to thank my socks for a service that they were created to do. I mean, shit, my stove does not "spark joy" in my life, but it has a purpose. If it was a La Cornue we might have a different feeling here, but let's be honest, appliances/furniture are functional or should be, they are not always meant to move heaven and earth and make me feel loved. Again, if her style has made you feel like a better person great for you, but I feel one does not need to thank their purse for existing. Unless it is an Hermes ;-)

*I am sure someone will read this and call me an asshole. Eh, I've been called worse. Also, this woman has made serious bank off of her issues so this is capitalism at work in all its glory. Amen sister, go get your payday. Maybe instead of reading excerpts and gushing articles, I will read the book myself and see if I do glean any insight. If so, I will then come back with a mea culpa for ya'll. 

On a very serious note, keep the folks in Texas and Oklahoma in your thoughts and prayers.

Cheers!
MissFifi



No comments:

Post a Comment