Skip to main content

How To Piss Me Off

Send me an "ambulance services" bill for $1,061.75. I call my insurance company, they paid their contracted amount and according to them I only need to pay $82.00. The hospital sending the bill partners with our town's First Aid Squad, but is used for MICU/ICU which I was NOT in nor was it the hospital used.
Now I have to call this outsourced billing company and ask them where in the Sam Hell do they get off charging my over a thousand bucks? I did not know I was now going to be a part owner of an ambulance. Just know I am not excited about making this call. I understand EMS people make piss and are volunteers, but then just who is getting all this freakin' money???

After doing some internet research I found articles about numerous ambulance companies across the country that have been accused of fraud alongside Medicare. There were also lots of comments from people claiming they would never call for an ambulance ever again. Pick, life or death. Awesome.

And this is why I hate the US healthcare system with a passion.

We pay so much out of pocket for services, yes even with health insurance for those who live elsewhere, it is ridiculous. On top of that, NO ONE should have to decline an ambulance because you will get slammed with a charge for over a thousand dollars.
This is why I can't understand people who keep fighting Universal Healthcare. Do you really think medical bankruptcy is an awesome thing? I worked in mortgaging, I saw it listed on a few deals that came through. You shouldn't think losing your car or house or that depleting your savings to pay for any sort of medical treatments is acceptable. That doesn't say "Freedom" to me. Why would you want to fight tooth and nail to get stuff covered? Who the hell decided that medical care is not a God given right? Who is that person as I would like to inflict some private justice on them with a 2 x 4. I am tired of hearing about people unable to buy their diabetes medication or get that mammogram. Don't tell me they need to get a job or two, lots of folks have jobs and crappy insurance plans thanks to their employers not willing to buy better ones. I also love people who think like me being referred to as commie liberals because you know, healthcare is for wimps and you should just be glad you live in America.




So I will let you know how that phone call goes. Have a nice day.


Cheers!
MissFifi




Comments

  1. Yes...we learned long ago the hard way all about US health care. When I first heard your tale, I KNEW you would receive a bill for at least that, sadly.
    When hubby did have his job and we had supposedly 'good' insurance, I had foot surgery and he had a visit to the ER. The insurance booklet clearly stated in no uncertain terms that ALL was covered EXCEPT for $75. each for the services. We kept receiving bills for thousands and thousands of dollars. We called the insur. co. repeatedly and either got put on terminal hold, hung up on, or dismissed summarily. Hubby even went to the hospital with photo-copied pages of the insurance book proving we did not owe the money. The insur. co. refused to pay balances because they think they can get away with it. No matter what you do, they won't listen to anyone, or honor their policies.
    Finally he gave the hospital the copied pages, categorically refused to pay one dime we were not liable for, and walked out. At that point we didn't care what the hell happened.
    Now, he lost his job over 2 months ago---the second one in several years---when the crappy co. let the whole design dept. go with no notice, no severance, and of course no insurance.
    Now with NO income we of course still have no insurance, which in this country is damn worthless anyway.
    So-called 'unemployment' is not enough here to pay the barest minimum of bills. Peachy. We applied for food stamps over 2 months ago and have not received a penny. You go up there. You call repeatedly. They have a recording that says basically 'don't call us, we'll call you', but they don't.
    As if having to do that isn't demoralizing and horrifying enough.
    To add insult to injury they required unbelievably intrusive documents from us that were unnecessary and outrageous in the extreme.
    Next week hubby is going up to their office and demanding our paperwork/documents back and telling them to go to hell.
    Yes, here we are in America where you lose your job and are not "normal" in the eyes of others, so you get treated like a deadbeat or like you don't exist.
    We have had our dignity taken from us after years and years of hard work and responsible living.
    Pissed off? Uh, yeah...

    You don't have to publish this. I am just mad at the world, and your post sure made me even more so. Just sucks. I hope you get your situation all resolved without too much more stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely entitled to be angry. Hell, I am angry for you! I don't understand why the powers that be still have that stupid "welfare mom" image in their head from the 80's. Not everyone abuses the system and those that did, I hope they were banned from ever receiving benefits again because they ruined it for people who truly have a need. I hope things work out for you as I remember reading how hard it was for Adam looking for work last time. My favorite is when people start telling you to move for work. Let's see. If you own a home and have a support system you may not want to do that. PLus moving costs are outrageous. You can't move even if you want because you don't have the money. An incredibly vicious cycle.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…