Monday, January 5, 2015

Hello and Merry New Year!

My I have been absent here haven't I? All for good reason though. Visits, celebrating, eating, reading, writing and more writing. On that note, let me share the two books I am currently reading.

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee which is clearly geared towards screen writers, but has been incredibly helpful to me. I have begun to think differently when it comes to my novel in progress. (Slow progress, but progress none the less.) And with that, I have turned the damned thing on its head once again and have gutted it inside out and realized where the characters really want to go. For everyone who says writing courses are not necessary, I beg to differ. I am sure if I had pursued this in college I would be much better equipped on how to actually get my act together and not constantly flounder. Yes this is a learning process as it happens, but now I just want the damned thing to write itself. Perhaps it will once I better understand this current change of plot. I have toyed with just tossing it aside and starting a different book, but I can't. So let's all hope it gets picked up once it is completed sometime in 2055 shall we? :)

While walking through the library during a rare alone moment, I came across Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else by Chrystia Freeland. First off, don't you love how all these book titles have an explanation or synopsis in them? It cracks me up quite frankly, but it also seems to be the norm in most non-fiction titles these days.  Anyway, I enjoy reading about the High and Mighty of Wealth because one, I doubt I will even reach that pinnacle and two, nor do I care if I do, but three, it is interesting to me how the gap has widened and how technology has caused much of that to happen.

Staying on the wealth topic, the HGTV Dream Home is in Martha's Vineyard this year. Very nice. Not totally my style, too much white but I would not turn this house down as it is five hour ride away and that is the closest Dream Home yet! I am linking to it through Hooked On Houses because I dislike the HGTV site and always have. Too much stuff everywhere. They need to streamline it pronto.
HookedonHouses - HGTV Dream Home 2015

Hope you all had a lovely holiday and are looking forward to spring as much as I am! I can't wait to get the garden going, but that is for another post.

Cheers!
MissFifi



2 comments:

  1. Hahaa, those book titles are nearly click-baiting!
    That second book would probably depress the heck out of me!

    Have you started to receive your seed catalogs yet!? They make me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting ready to go on Victory Seeds and go to town :)

    ReplyDelete