Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Charity and Frugality

We are on the tail ends of our colds here, my son faring better than us, but I would still love to lie down and nap for about three hours. Also, the exterminator will be here in a bit and I honestly cannot wait to get this process going. I am so sick of mice poop at this point and I am sorry, but they must find elsewhere to live.

I have been reading a lot of interesting articles and blog posts in regards to charitable giving and reeling in the holiday spending. Do I think you can be frugal and still give? Absolutely. I just think you need to be wise as to where and how you give. Mindfulness is key, even in being charitable.

There is a great article in December's Money Magazine that discusses how one should decide to give to charities. It is also in Time Magazine, see the link below.

How to Get the Most Bang for Your Charitable Giving Buck

It is interesting how money is more helpful than dropping off a bag of clothes in some cases, but it makes sense. The charity itself knows where it's biggest needs lie. Some have wish lists on Amazon which you can go to and order from and have it shipped directly to the charity. This is something I think I would like to take part in more often, especially for women's shelters and animal shelters.

On a different end of the charity spectrum, Frugal Queen is doing a reverse advent project which I is a great idea. Have books you no longer read? Donate to the library or to a shelter's thrift shop. Made a cake? Bring it to a sick friend or to the office to share. I look at it as little acts of kindness that go a long way during this hectic season. I like spending time with people I care about at this time of year. I like spending time with them whenever I can really, but the holidays add a nice touch of festiveness and if I can bake or cook for them that is nice as well.

Hope all is fabulous in your corner of the world.

Cheers!
MissFifi


No comments:

Post a Comment