Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sick and A Cemetery

Our little guy had a fever and sniffles two weeks ago. He seemed better but then in the last 24 hours he got this cough and I began to feel ill. I did not send him to school today. Instead we went to the pediatrician who proceeded to tell me our son just has a cold and from now until May this is cold and flu season for all kids in daycare and preschool. Apparently the runny nose is normal for about two weeks and I was little early on the cough as they are not concerned with coughs in toddlers unless they run over a week or more. He also told me that the hubby and I will be getting sick more often now too since our son is in preschool. Aces. Petri dishes unite! LOL

I feel bad he missed class today but hey it is preschool and another day of just chilling, this means trains and iPad and reading, should help us both.


Last week as he was in school I decided to walk around town and visited an old cemetery. New Jersey has lots of history thanks to George Washington and his troops coming through as well as early settlers.

I love cemeteries. There is beauty and sadness there. The tombstones themselves amazing records of history and some of them are pretty amazing design wise. I felt fortunate to come across some very old graves. For those who live in Europe, these will seem relatively new considering.

I love mausoleums and this one had lovely stained glass.



I am only using my phone for photos and the sun was making it hard to get a good shot. This one was from 1762 and I love the angel carved at the top.

A marker for those who died of smallpox on the site. 


The following crypts were fascinating as one had what seemed like a long piece of Scripture carved into the stone and the other told of what killed the young man. 




 
Close up of cause of death.


To some this would seem incredibly creepy and morbid but not me. Cemeteries can be the best places to reflect and meditate as well as show respect to people who have probably not been visited in a century.

Well I am off to rest a little. At least the best I can with a two and a half year old.

Cheers!
MisFifi


No comments:

Post a Comment