Monday, September 1, 2014

One Hit Wonder - Stabilizers

For some of us, music defines certain moments in our lives. You hear the first few notes and it all comes flooding back. Where you were, what you were doing and who you were with. In the case of the one hit wonder, the inevitable, "What the hell happened to them?" follows as you crank up the song and bounce around like a lunatic. At least I do.

We have a Sonos Play 1 wireless speaker and I love this thing to no end. I use the app on my phone to go to Radio where an obscene amount of music and talk radio stations await to be chosen. I have been having a lot of fun and flashbacks with the Got Radio Retro 80's station. Which also has a website here if you want to check it out. They have played so many great songs that I had forgotten about that I would crank it up so loud I believe my neighbors must think I am insane. Eh, who cares? LOL

The 80's had a lot of talented and creative bands. Also, genres were a lot more defined where it is not so much now. Crossover music, see Run DMC and Aerosmith, was not as common and almost shocking in some cases. There was also a HUGE amount of one hit wonders. The Outfield, The Vapors, Soft Cell, Tom Tom Club and so many more. The station I mentioned plays all of these. Heaven!!

The other day I had the station on and a song started and I nearly tripped over my own feet to race over and turn up the volume. A band that had one hit and one album and was gone. Wherever these guys are now, I have no idea, but dudes, thank you for making a song that should have been used in so many movies from back in the day and capturing the 80's better than most. Friends, I give you the Erie, PA band Stabilizers and their one and only smash, "One Simple Thing".  Welcome back 1986.

** Piece of cool trivia, David Fincher, THE DAVID FINCHER, was the director of this video. Rock on!

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment