Friday, August 29, 2014

Freezing tomatoes

We visited friends of ours this week who happen to have a garden that is producing tomatoes at an insane rate. So, I gave them mint from my garden, peaches from our CSA, we don't eat them really, and they gave me two squash and a serious glut of tomatoes.

I am giddy.

I have been noshing on them and adding them to anything I can. But it is a serious amount that we have because our CSA just gave us some as well. What is a non-canning person to do?

I froze them. Whole.

Rock on.

I did a lot of research online and of course came across the many ways you can freeze a sauce or blanched tomatoes, but I am feeling waaaaaaaaaay too lazy and am not into having to deal with too many steps. What I wanted was to have tomatoes that I could throw into chili or stews for the winter. These tomatoes will not do well for any recipe calling for fresh tomatoes so keep that in mind. Freezing about 6 or 8 large tomatoes was the goal here and a helluva a lot more simple than I thought. I really thought I had to puree them or chop them up or roast and throw in jars. But no, all I needed was to wash and toss into a freezer bag. Check out the instructions here on simplycanning.com.

I did puree some very overripe tomatoes for pizza tonight and some pasta dishes I can make on the weekend. Win win for me!

So if you are not a canner, take heart, freeze away and enjoy your chili this winter with summer tomatoes.

Cheers!
MissFifi

1 comment: