Skip to main content

Where For Art Thou Mother Nature?

Thanks to various things like pesticides, climate change and what ever else we can conjure, I have very few bees or butterflies in my garden. Because of this, none of my zucchinis or cucumbers are growing. I have flowers, but nothing else.

This displease me.

I was going to hand pollinate the zucchini, but the flowers have fallen off already. Aces.

This is the first time since we have lived here, 5 years now, that I have not had one swallowtail butterfly. None. I have not seen any hummingbird moths either. This disturbs me because it is very telling.
Sure the bumblebees are out, but in far less numbers than I have had in the past. Is it because everything is blooming so damn late thanks to the obnoxiously long winter? I don't know. I do have neighbors that use pesticides to keep a perfect lawn and I am sure that doesn't help much. We keep the clover in ours because I like it and heck, so do the bees. I saw two honeybees within the clover and I became giddy.

I don't know. It is weird to have a lovely flower garden and very few pollinators. Disheartening is the word I think that describes it best. I grow a lot of herbs to let them flower so the bees can go crazy. This is a pretty tall and large thyme (??) plant behind my garage that had at least four bees on it when I took this photo.

 Happy bees!

What is also sad is that my Butterfly Bush has been pretty inactive. When I went out before there were just two butterflies on some flowers. They were orange and brown and the only type I have seen in my garden spaces all summer. I miss the other insects I used to see and I thought I would be able to entice them our way due to the flowers, but I guess nature has its own agenda. Bummer. Ah well, I am happy to see the insects I have and having to constantly remind my son to not touch the bumblebees. He has a thing for needing to hold all insects. The other day he walked over to me and my neighbor holding a live wasp. Yeah. Luckily it did not sting him, but we had to explain why walking around carrying one of those is not a good idea. I fully expect him to do it again.

Hope your gardens are flourishing and that what is going on here is a fluke.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many honey bees here, either. I'm seriously thinking of keeping bees soon; but the start-up cost is a little much for us right now.

      Delete
  2. Carol - It is funny, I was starting to toy with keeping bees as well.
    I did just observe something interesting though. We are due to get some serious thunderstorms within the half hour. I had to do some stuff outside about 45 minutes ago and walked over to the garden and noticed there were at least 15 bees buzzing about. Now I wonder if the hot and humidity contributed to my lack of seeing them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What good news! !!!
      I have seen bumble bees, and a few wispy waspy looking bees.
      Worried about the future of bees, though. Maybe next year we'll start a hive.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…