Skip to main content

As They Say, The More You Know

As a bonafide city kid, one can note that I have taken to certain parts of country living well. Open space, farms, wildlife of all kinds, hiking trails, nice parks. Others, not so much. Sidewalks. We need sidewalks in my town dammit! And a Trader Joe's. Petty issues yes, but I can complain a little can't I?

One thing I really love about where I live is the constant sounds of birds. All types of birds. It is sort of amazing how many different songs one can hear in an hour in the morning.

As you can see by the photo, I have a cute little nesting box on my garage. Currently a family of bluebirds have taken up residence there. I put the shepherds hook there awhile back when I realized they were moving in and figured it would gave them a place to sit, observe and protect.



I used to have bird feeders but the squirrels and deer were too aggressive with them. One morning I went out and my suet cake holder was gone. I looked everywhere and never found it. Bear, deer, raccoon, who knows what the hell took it so that was when I decided to just provide clean water and sunflowers for the birds to have fun.

Since I am ignorant to birding as a whole I have begun some research. One of the first things I was interested in doing was getting more birdhouses. I started to look up what types of boxes I needed and lo and behold I came across the fact that we have two very aggressive species in NJ that will kill, yes kill, my pretty little bluebirds to nest in the birdhouse. The House Sparrow and European Starlings are considered invasive brutes and we can humanely euthanize them if we catch them because they are such a threat to our native species. (See here.) Personally I am not killing anything, but I will do what I can to prevent the little buggers from screwing with the current residents of the birdhouse. I am happy to say I have only heard the calls of these particular birds and not seen them in my yard, but one never knows. I have witnessed the bluebirds fighting off other small birds, but not the House Sparrow or Starling.

On another fun note, I have a house finch nesting in one of my hanging plants. She has about 4 eggs in there so I am letting her be and trying to water the plant best I can. I do think it is sort of cool to have them there though so I see no reason to make a fuss.

Thanks to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, I am hip to all things birds.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi