Skip to main content

A Sort of Repeat Post

A friend and I were chatting earlier about preschools, we both have children that will be going in the fall, when we suddenly veered into high school territory and the obsession our country has with STEM at the present moment. While I get that technology is the favorite frontier of most everyone, I am a little annoyed that with all the energy being put into STEM, schools get to inflict cutbacks to the arts, languages and other subjects that actually make you a well rounded human being.
This then brought us to the fact that some young folks today are seriously lacking in self sufficiency skills. Our world is made to order. You want food? Call out or go out or tell your personal chef what you want. You need your lawn mowed? Pick up some guy on a corner or sign a contract with a landscape company. You have an apartment to clean? Get a maid. Don't misunderstand me, they are the first to outsource things they need done, but there seems to be a much larger group doing it than when I was a twenty-something. Though I think eating out, for a lot of us, was and is a great social event.
My friend and I also wondered what would happen to children who have no interest in STEM. Would they just be regaled to the back of the room? Will schools still have shop classes and work study programs for those that lack the desire to go to college, but prefer a career as a car mechanic? I am curious to see how our education system handles this considering it needs serious restructuring.
We both agreed that home economics is something that should be brought back into the school system. No, public school should not be where you kid learns life skills, but for all the people who are too busy or who have no idea how to balance a checkbook or do a budget, it would be a life saver for their progeny.
I have posted this video before, but I felt the need to share it once again. It is from 1951 and like all things 50's in the USA, comes across a little hokey, but the main message is clear and should be implemented today. One of my favorite statements made by the narrator in regards to the young ladies observing a nursery school class for child development is at the end of the following paragraph. "Home economics means much more than a career. It's the study of everything that makes up a home. Including those who live there. The girls learn a lot from the children of the nursery school. How habits and attitudes learned at this age are so important in later life. They learn how much depends on getting along with others. For after all, we live in a world where people are more important than things."

We need to remember that.



Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi