Saturday, February 15, 2014

Strep Throat

Yup. That is what I have. I had woken up this morning with my throat in even more pain, a headache and a little dizzy. I knew something was not right. Called the doctor's office, got an early appointment and voila! Interestingly enough I have no fever, or pus in my throat or chills. Just a really raw and red throat. So sexy. I am on a fabulous regimen of Amoxicillin twice a day for ten days and Mucinex D twice a day for ten days. Good times. I am really, really, really hoping that the little man and the big man do not get this. We really do our best to stay healthy in my family, but hey, germs can't help but get passed around. So fingers crossed and prayers said. Plus it looks like I am definitely the walking petri dish, not the child. LOL

I went to CVS to get my prescriptions filled. I asked the pharmacy cashier if he needed my prescription card but he said no. I figured  it was in the system already then. When it was time to pay, I thought the price of 72.99 for the Amoxil was a touch high. When I relayed this to the hubby he was adamant that something was amiss. I was annoyed, hey, I don't feel well, but decided to call CVS Caremark, they run out prescription plan, to confirm price of drug. Lo and behold it should have been a mere $8.00. So my husband went to CVS to get refunded and we found out we made the boo boo. When the company he works from was spun off from the Mother Company, all the information in the system was attached to the Mother Ship and expired. Totally our bad, but they fixed it and updated everything so all is well.

The experience made me wonder how anyone without insurance can afford Amoxil or anything else like it because to get well is not cheap. I have heard of certain monthly prescriptions costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars. If you don't have insurance, how can you survive? Hell, even with insurance you sometimes can't survive. We even have an HSA, health savings account, to help with the unexpected extras.
If you live in a country with socialized medicine, aren't you glad you don't have to deal with this crap?

I am now lying down, about to watch The Heiress (trailer below). And to amuse you all, it is snowing here again. Mother Nature is a bitch lately.



Cheers!
MissFifi

2 comments:

  1. The heiress with Olivia de havilland ?
    ( I can't load the video to check)
    Chin up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with her and Monty Clift. Such a fabulous movie.
      Thank God for antibiotics, the sore throat is almost completely gone.

      Delete