Skip to main content

Pandora's Box

When a neighbor heard we were redoing our bedroom we were discussing some issues that had come up early in the process she declared old houses to be like a "Pandora's Box". Her own home is from the 1800's so she can relate.

Man, she was not kidding.

Our contractor has uncovered even more electrical nightmares. Honest to God, it is amazing this house has never burnt down to the ground. **Dear Universe, I am NOT testing anything and would prefer to never experience a house fire. Thank you very much.**
Uncovered wiring, outlets installed incorrectly and a wire from our brand new panel that got accidentally cut in half. (Well that explains why our sons air conditioner stopped working.) This is all but a taste of what our contractor has come into contact with. He already closed off one bad outlet in the living room. Seems prior owners left uncovered and uncapped wires in the wall. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people????

Here is an outlet from our upstairs bath. The last few times I plugged the vacuum into the outlet, a funky, electric-y smell emerged from it so we stopped using it. The other night we plugged the electric heater into a brand new outlet in the hall and low and behold, the bathroom began to smell and the outlet got hot. I speak to the contractor today and he decides to remove to the evil outlet completely. Here is what he discovered.


Basically someone did not install the wires correctly and it was loose and there was oxidization...he began electrician speak and kind of lost me, but I got the gist of what he was relaying. All I know is that the outlet you see is burned and melted and it could have taken me and mine out one day or night.

Sons of Idiots. Cheap bastards who owned this home for years didn't want to do repairs right and this is what I get left with. Right now I want to have every wall in my home ripped out to repair all possible faulty wiring. 'Cause you know there is more. Without a doubt there are half assed jobs/repairs everywhere. But I lack such bounty to do so, damn my middle class lineage!, So all in good time. The contractor will NOT be letting power back into our son's room, the guest room or bathroom simply because as he said, "I can't in good faith do that." Fine by me. Our son is happy to read by a lantern in his room when it is bed time. I would rather keep the juice from flowing than take a chance.

Friends of ours who also own a 1920s home are also in the middle of doing a renovation of a bedroom as well and uncovered wiring behind their baseboard heating that just gets capped off because the folks were too lazy to wire it all the way through.

Sons of Idiots. Honestly, I know people bitch about codes and regulations, but man, I am all for it when it comes to the safety of my dwelling.

On the plus side, we did pick a carpet out over the weekend and he went to pick it up today. Hooray!

And, on a lighter, haha, note, I made this delicious Butternut Squash Potato Soup. I used three potatoes and extra paprika. It was superb and perfect for the cold nights ahead. Make some warm bread or biscuits to go with.

Cheers!
MissFifi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…