Skip to main content

A Nice Gesture That Could Be Done More Often

Last week I had received a newsletter in the mail from my chiropractor that all week they would be giving patients a free adjustment if they brought in a bag of groceries for the local food pantry. Since I was already booked for Friday I went off to the dollar store, bought cans of beans, vegetables and sweet potatoes as well as a bag of rice, black pepper and a jar of beef bouillon cubes. I was happy to see a nice pile of bags when I got there and added my lot to the bunch.
They were also giving away free frozen turkeys that day but had run out. Since we are vegetarian I would have asked ours to be donated to the food pantry instead.
After a wonderful adjustment by the new female chiropractor who palpates vertebrae like no one I have ever met, I got to thinking about why more businesses do not offer such a deal.

We have all seen the barrage of opinion pieces about the ludicrous hours that stores will be opening on Thanksgiving Day. America's obsession with shopping and seemingly being complicit in doing away with the holiday is in direct contradiction of our various politician's obsession with family unity. Holidays should be enjoyed. Whether it is with family or friends or both or even alone. But no, according to consumers and retailers, they would rather be on line at a store than sitting with Grandmom and eating pie. The best part is, I am sure lots of hardcore family values folks will be on line to get that television. The whole shebang is also a nice meaty bone to those that love capitalism and free markets. You can choose not to shop of course, any Libertarian will tell you so, but the pervasiveness is appalling.

The earliest opening I have seen announced will be from my old employer, Toys R Us. 5pm that day. Because God knows you just NEED that toy. Okay, let me stop and not head into a serious rant.

My idea was that the big retailers participating in this insanity offer a deal where you can get 20%, or more, off your total order if you bring in two cans of non-perishable items, even toiletries, for a local food pantry. The reason I am not suggesting a whole bag is because I can see that being a massive fail. Have you seen the stampede that happens when those doors open in those stores? Here is an example from Thousand Oaks Mall in California. Seriously, what the hell do you need that bad???????? A t-shirt????



Back to charity.

Granted, I do not know if most people will bother to give a rats ass about strangers that day, the video above would indicate a huge NO, but it wouldn't hurt to for the stores to ask. You bring your donation to the register with your purchase and everyone benefits. The companies make more money and those in need receive much needed necessities to get them through rough times.

A gal can dream right?

Cheers!
MissFifi






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi