Skip to main content

I Read The News Today Oh Boy...

And I probably shouldn't have.
I try to avoid the news like the plague. No reason to get upset about things I can't help or fix, but a recent story out of Maryville, Missouri regarding rape and a possible cover up is an embarrassment to human kind.
You can read the story here on the St. Louis Dispatch website and get your own rage on.
What kills me, kills me about my country of America is that we get all crazy about sharia law and how Muslims treat their women and children, but God Forbid a revered high school footballer in a podunk town does it. We let the slut shaming begin, rallying around the accused and disregarding the hard evidence. It is mind blowing how so-called devout Christians can be just as small minded as the Islamic Fundamentalists that they claim to have nothing in common with.
The truth is, it is high time the Bible Belt gets it shit together.  I say this because two rape cases that went National occurred in Ohio and Missouri.  These incidents happened in small towns, not metropolitan cities where people are a touch more progressive, but areas where football and religion run way deep. When you think small town idyll, you may want to reconsider. There is nothing idyllic about ranks closing around sexual predators. And here is something else, if you know much about America, you know that God is pretty prevalent in the heartland. So is meth. Along with job losses, discontentment, uncertainty and good 'ol patriotism we have people clinging to anything that makes them forget their troubles. Enter high school football. Whatever. I am so far removed from football culture. There are millions of articles on Google that can explain the obsession with it in certain parts of the country way better than I ever could.
Bottom line to all of this is that young people everywhere want to feel they belong and will do anything to join the crowd, especially if the crowd has boys and girls that are older and popular. They may agree to drink, blow off curfews, sneak out of the house, etc. We need to start teaching young men and women that putting oneself in a precarious situation is not ideal and I do not mean with religion because clearly that does nothing. Morals do not need to have a religious bent. Treating another human being's body with respect does not need a religious bent. If you want to teach your children religion, but all means go for it, but do not think just memorizing a Proverb or two will get the message across. Your own actions and remarks form their opinions as well. Be mindful before you speak. Don't call a girl in a tank top a whore or a boy with downs syndrome a "freak". You can model devotion to God however you want, but you should not teach hate and disrespect.
Also, entitlement needs to just stop. STOP. I do not care who's granddad does what in politics, that should not get the little delinquent off with slap, if any, on the wrist.
And when you think your boy deserves an apology for raping an underage girl, you deserve the worst karma God can deliver.

Rosea Lake's photo "Judgments".


Exhausted by the human race,
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…