Skip to main content

An Ode to My Knitting Teacher

What seems like many moons ago I learned how to knit. I do not remember how or why, but I got a bee  in my bonnet to want to pick up needles and yarn and declare myself free from shopping for clothes. I have not gotten there, but at least I will never have to buy scarves or hats ever again!
On an internet quest, I found a woman that was sort of local, contacted her, set up a time and date and me and some gal pals went to her house in South Orange, NJ.
We walked into an awesome rambling home with children, pets and a very warm and welcoming teacher with great wit greeted us named Annie Modesitt.
Because of Annie, I adore knitting. She was laid back, funny and made us realize there was nothing to stress about. No one was asking us to knit an afghan to cover the Statue of Liberty so relax. She had tea and cookies for us and we all took to this new skill with aplomb. 
There were five in our group and she took time with each of us. She asked what we all wanted to make and then got us started to help the next person. What I loved was that she explained that her way of knitting was not considered "the norm". I hate the whole "right way, wrong way" crap when it is clear there are certain tasks, even math problems, that can be done in varying ways. She regaled us with tales of how she first started knitting and things she tried and people who told her she was "doing it wrong", her fibromyalgia, etc. The word "candid" should be her middle name. It was refreshing. 
I think we were there for about two hours before we hustled out of there due to an impending snow storm.*
It is fun to think back on how sore my wrist would get when I first started and how long it took me to make a basic scarf. Now I can fly through a hat or knitting a neck warmer with a flower. I have knitted lace scarves and cotton washcloths. This skill is something I look forward to as Autumn arrives and I a forever grateful to her for the time she allowed to pop over at last minutes notice for a refresher. 
She moved to Minnesota with her lovely family some time ago, but thankfully she has a blog.


One of the great things about Annie is her generosity. Be it her time, her infinite patience with those learning how to cast on and more. She is also very giving with some of her gorgeous patterns. On that note, I share with all of you her FREE Twisted Float Scarf Pattern. In her post, she links to a Caribou Coffee. Seems their founder, Amy Erickson,  passed away from Breast Cancer back in 1995. In honor of her, if you order Amy's Blend, they donate 10% to Cancer Care. There is also a #hashtag promo (for FB and Twitter which sadly I am not a part of either) that if used, a row of a scarf is knitted (takes about 40 hashtags) and once completed it is donated to a breast cancer patient. A simple gesture that means so much to those struggling with an illness. Beautiful.
 

If you ever have the opportunity to meet Annie and take one of her classes, do it. You will not be disappointed. 

Cheers!
MissFifi


*As for the snow storm, we left her home as it began, it got worse us we drove and for the next two days were were all snowed in at our respective homes. Where I resided at the time in urban NJ sucked when it came to the town snow plowing. Glad I am not in that area anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…