Tuesday, September 10, 2013

How to Bang One's Head Against the Wall

Sometimes I find myself disgusted by the behaviors of the elected officials in this country so much that I want to leave my citizenship behind and flee. Drastic? Yes. But I believe the latest article on Poverty and Food Stamps in the NY Times will make you understand why.

On the Edge of Poverty, at the Center of a Debate on Food Stamps.

This specific excerpt did me in.


Surrounded by corn and soybean farms — including one owned by the local Republican congressman, Representative Stephen Fincher — Dyersburg, about 75 miles north of Memphis, provides an eye-opening view into Washington’s food stamp debate. Mr. Fincher, who was elected in 2010 on a Tea Party wave and collected nearly $3.5 million in farm subsidies from the government from 1999 to 2012, recently voted for a farm bill that omitted food stamps.
“The role of citizens, of Christianity, of humanity, is to take care of each other, not for Washington to steal from those in the country and give to others in the country,” Mr. Fincher, whose office did not respond to interview requests, said after his vote in May. In response to a Democrat who invoked the Bible during the food stamp debate in Congress, Mr. Fincher cited his own biblical phrase. “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat,” he said.
I want to know how in the hell a government official who claims to be a "Tea Party" member is entitled to government subsidies? The Tea Party is all about less government so I would say that conflicts with your party's beliefs there buddy.  Better yet,  how about I say it you working in government and getting a subsidy is a "conflict of interest"? How about I tell him to shove his bible where the sun does not shine? Amazing how those with so much believe those without just haven't worked "hard enough". What in God's names causes people to lose any ounce of empathy? Not everyone abuses the social systems set in place so stop acting like that is the problem. I believe Mr. Fincher getting subsidies is the problem. Him and all his uppity cronies acting as if they were way better than the common man. You sir, are a disgrace.
One commenter from Louisiana said it best, "Let me get this straight, when it comes to abortion or birth control, these people want the government to enforce Christian principles. But when it comes to the Christian principle of taking care of the poor, they tell government to back off?"

That is as succinct as it gets. I do not care if you practice religion or not. I do not care if you are a survivalist or a Koch brother. We are all entitled to live how we choose, but there may come a time, in any of our lives, where we may need assistance. Yes SNAP and many other programs need a rehaul, cutting funding is NOT the right answer.
When will people wake up and stop voting by political party? When will people wake up and stop voting against their best interests?? Stop putting these sadists in office thinking they will help this Nation or help you reach the "1%" and start voting for people who actually give a shit. IF they even exist.

Man, it is exhausting to get this angry. I do not mean to be a downer, but I can't help but feel as if we have moved backward instead of forward as a Nation and I hate it. I really, really do. Big fat sigh.

Today's Recipe is from Annie's Eats - Jalapeno Popper Dip

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment