Skip to main content

"We sail within a vast sphere, ever drifting in uncertainty, driven from end to end" - Blaise Pascal

Unsure what to call this post, a quote seemed like a good idea and it makes me seem oh so witty.

I watched another documentary, but this one did not give me a twitch and was sweet, poignant and funny. About twin 69 year old prostitutes in Amsterdam, "Meet the Fokkens" surprised me in so many ways. I know there are quite a few people out there who find prostitution horrific, I do not. I wish it was legalized here in the US, but with the religious right and other interest groups, well, that is a whole other post. I look at it as a way to get rid of the pimps, ensure the women have health care and savings/investments and help defeat the sex trade. And no, my rose colored glasses are not foggy. I am sure there will still be scumbags exploiting their chattel as they consider the prostitutes, but let us make it harder for them to do so shall we? Anyway, the documentary is not so much about the sex trade industry as it is about two vibrant women who speak matter of factly and have a zest for living, regardless of the horrible situations that brought them to this lifestyle. 


My husband takes his lunch in a brown shopping bag every day. These bags can only hold up for so long. I need to get a sturdier one made of material. If I can get my tush in gear, perhaps I can make him a patterned bag and that will be that. Or I can see if Marshall's has any on clearance. Sort of a win win to me here. Purl Bee has a simple and lovely bag pattern. I do not embroider hence why I would just use patterned fabric. Look at it, it is so darn cute!!!


I have writer's block with my short story and my novel. Oh joy. I get angry about it, but that is not helpful so I have sort of embraced the block and figured it will go when it is ready. Part of my problem is I am trying to do and be everything to everyone then I stretch myself too thin. I need to just chill, breathe and do what I can instead of thinking there is a deadline looming and if I never get the story out RIGHT NOW or published EVER I suck. Isn't it amazing how well we can beat ourselves up when in reality we shouldn't? Bad Fifi, be nice to yourself!

I finally got popsicle molds! Thanks to TJ Maxx they looks like Rockets and were only 6.99. I cannot wait to get started and on top of that I can make fudgesicles too so my husband will be giddy. Nice to know I will be able to make fruity pops for the little guy and myself and it won't cost that much at all. 

Here is what we are getting in our half share from the CSA this week.

pint blueberries
pint cherries
bunch lettuce
2 zucchini
1 kirby cucumber
5 peaches
bunch parsley 
bunch scallions

My husband is not too thrilled. See, he hates berries and stone fruit which is the majority of our share. He found it interesting that there are not a lot of veggies included which I did too, but I told him I can make a lot of stuff with what they are giving us. The fruit is of great value to me since our son adores fruit and I now have the popsicle molds. We do have our veggie garden and the kale and Swiss chard are growing well and are delicious.  I will start pulling some carrots this week too I think which I am also very excited about. 
This recipe for peaches was posted my CSA's site and it comes via The Kitchen is My Playground.

BROWN SUGAR ROASTED PEACHES

Ingredients:

1 fresh peach
1 tsp. unsalted butter, divided
2 to 4 tsp. brown sugar, divided
Sprinkling of ground cinnamon, to taste

Directions:

1.  Halve peaches and remove pit.  Place in baking dish, skin side down.

2.  Place 1/2 teaspoon butter in the hollow of each peach, top each peach half with 1 or 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

3.  Bake at 375 degrees until peaches are tender, about 30 minutes.  Serve warm.

Maybe if we get more cucumbers, which I hope we do, I can make this cucumber salsa from SparkRecipes.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …