Thursday, July 18, 2013

Basil, Peaches, Wabi Sabi and No More Block

I just went out in this wretched heat to pick up our weekly share from our CSA. A really good bounty this week. There is a nice amount of basil, but I am feeling rebellious and not wanting to make pesto. I love pesto, but I do like challenging myself with new recipes and so I did a search and came across basil creamsicles. I know the first reaction is "Ewww, really??" But they do sound and look very refreshing.

BASIL CREAMSICLE (from Deliciously Organic via Food Loves Writing)

I am also searching for a peach scone or muffin recipe since we got 8 peaches and stone fruit is not big with the husband. Blueberries came again and I doubt the pint will last long since my son and I eat them like they were bursting by the barrel full out our door. Oh how I wish they were I love them so much.
I want to substitute honey for sugar because I did not buy any sugar and do not want to buy any due to the cost so here is what I found on Myrecipes.com

To use honey in place of 1 cup of sugar, use 2 tablespoons less honey, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and reduce another liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons. The flavor and texture will not be quite the same, but you may like your new version better than the original recipe! Start with a mild flavored honey, and be aware that because of its viscous nature, honey will make your baked goods more moist and dense.
My writer's block has died out, sort of, thank goodness. But I am still trying to find the time to write. I am my own worst enemy, but it will all get done. I never met the short story deadline last month so I am trying for this month's submission and as for the novel, I did a scene change or two last night, hurrah, and now I realize I need to get back to short story to get it in on time. 
Wabi Sabi is the Japanese art of appreciating things with imperfections. You know, like a chair that has some peeling paint, but is still in working condition. I know my in-laws would have a coronary at the thought as anything less than House Beautiful gives them a twitch, and that is alright. Some people can only function when everything is just so and there is nothing wrong with that, but I can understand wanting to embrace things as they are and living among them in harmony.  Here is an article about living with life's imperfections on Houzz.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment