Skip to main content

A Rant and a Recipe

I have been reading a lot of blog posts that have discussed tackling debt and meal plans, etc. Down to Earth is doing a series and Frugal Queen always has great tips as well. Most of the information is very helpful. What caught my attention was these folks do not have to worry so much in regards to healthcare because they happen to live places where thankfully, it is covered. I know it is not a perfect system, but hey, it is better than having to mortgage your home or piss away your savings. Here in the US, the health care system is a burden on many pocketbooks. If you are lucky and have no health issues, you should be fine, but if you do have any type of chronic or terminal illness? Look out, you will struggle. Sure there are employer plans, but some of them just now outright suck due to coverage cutbacks  or have been changed to make the deductibles higher for the employee. Yes I am bitching about it because that can make or break a lot of families. Families which the politicians of this fine country claim to care so much about. When I say families I mean every version of family you can conjure. Of course some people believe it is not the corporations responsibility to offer coverage and I say bull. You want my skills and me healthy to work for you then you better make sure I can afford to do so. By being unhealthy costs go to a broken system and you have to struggle to save what you can even though your radiology bill may be $1500.00
Another sad thing I have noticed is how many people out there that have commented on these posts and on some other blogs, about losing their jobs, redundancies and unable to find work after a year or more. Some are trying to get by on the minimum wage here in the States and we all know that can barely feed one person let alone two or more. And yes, raising it gets fought all the time. See here.  I am not sure how to get jobs back to the US, but for God's sake, we need some sort of tangible and affordable solution. Most people cannot afford to go back to school and most companies no longer offer paid training or training on the job at all. The Libertarain attitude of "you can make it if you work hard enough and want it bad enough" seems naive at this point. Add to that just how amazed I am at the disconnect of our politicians to their own citizens and I want to scream. On more than one occasion I have considered emailing the mighty in Congress a couple of links to these sites so they could see just what was happening in the real world. Read some comments you lunkheads and you might see where the "Average Joe" is struggling with. Do I think it would matter? No, but I would at least feel like I could say, "Hey, these are your citizens, your beloved constituents. They do not have corporate backing, but they contribute to the well being of the nation's economy. Stop pissing all over them." None of these folks, from what I have read, are asking for handouts or expect to be coddled for years. They want work, not food stamps, but dammit, if they need the stamps, give it to them and stop acting like we were the ones that were the sole cause of this recession in the first place!!
And scene. Thank you for letting me rant.

I made this Crispy Garlic Kale and Chorizo with Beans last night and it was delicious. I even made crusty bread to go with it and I highly recommend it for a nice dinner with leftovers. I did not do the step of removing garlic and sausage from pan and it turned out fine. I also only used one link of soy chorizo, but you can use regular chorizo and use the recommended two if you like.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …