Monday, June 10, 2013

Vegetables and Recipes

While I cook most meals from scratch, every now and then it is nice to buy bagels or Dunkin' Donuts or do take out and I will not apologize. This weekend though I got really rebellious and tried three new recipes. Part of the reason was because our half share from our CSA was quite the awesome bounty. Here is what we got.
Half Share:

quartstrawberries
bunchasparagus
bunchkale
1/2 lb baby spinach
bunchscallions
bunchbok choy
bunchchives
buncharugula

So far we have eaten all the strawberries, kale, spinach and have used the asparagus and chives. Everything has been delicious and once again, I am thrilled we did this. Keep in mind I still have a vegetable garden going and my kale out there is growing beautifully along with more carrots than a rabbit would know what to do with and my swiss chard is stunning as well. The tomatoes are still an uncertainty, but on a whim I took seeds someone gave my a few years ago and threw them in a pot assuming nothing would happen. Unless they are weeds, I have about 15 seedlings coming up. I am about to become Queen of Tomatoes and I am thinking lots of salsa this summer then :)

Here is what I made this weekend using some of my fine ingredients and encourage you to give these recipes a shot as they were delicious.

Buttermilk-Chive BIscuits - Myrecipes.com says it makes a dozen. Now, maybe it was because I used a regular drinking glass as a biscuit cutter, but I ended up with 20. Yes, 20. We have been eating them since Saturday and I have kept them in a covered cake platter to keep them fresh, but obviously you could freeze the extras. The only change is I used soy milk with vinegar to make buttermilk.  Eat them warm, they are fluffy and tasty, but I did toast some today for breakfast and even crunchy they are good.

Gingered Kale and Tofu - We did not make rice to go with this, but regardless, this recipe is outstanding. One of the things we do is buy fresh ginger root and my husband grinds it up in the food processor and fills ice cube trays. This makes it nice and easy to just pop one out when needed. I added the ginger when I heated the oil for the kale, but you can add it with the other ingredients if you choose. You will have extra marinade if you do not make rice with it, but you can store it and use it for something else I am sure.

Shaved Asparagus Pizza - Thank you Smitten Kitchen this was fabulous. Of course shaving asparagus is not easy and you will think you are mucking up when you can get perfect slabs, or if you are like me you don't care, but no matter, the inconsistent sizes make this delicious. 



There you have it. Now go forth and stuff your faces.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment