Skip to main content

Why I Hate Series Novels

After reading the second book, Drop Shot by Harlan Coben, I remembered why I hate series novels. The story was good, but the amount of rehashing makes my head spin. There is an assumption that the reader will forget these little details, which I find a touch condescending. Like, Win is a Tae Kwon Do expert or that Myron lives with his parents. The worst part is I am constantly being TOLD this not shown. In "Drop Shot" I get a full blown description of the restaurant they go to because they love it so much. You did this in the first novel already so PLEASE STOP.
Another thing I noticed with Drop Shot was the incredible amount of dialogue. Most everything I have ever read in regards to writing says to slim down the dialogue, show not tell, but damn if this book goes against all of that.  At one point I felt like I was looking at a screenplay. That does not mean it is a bad read. As an  aspiring writer you can get confused by all the "rules" of writing out there in internet land. I am very guilty of being a dialogue person more than a description writer, but I am not a screenwriter so I try to make sure every line count and work at trying to show things instead of just having my character ramble on. Actions do speak louder than words in a lot of cases and there were a few times as I was reading Drop Shot I was like, "Dude, all you had to do was have Myron do such and such and that would have said everything that took ten lines of dialogue!" Picky, picky I am.
This also occurred when I was reading the "In Death" series by Nora Roberts and the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovich. I never finished either because I couldn't take the abuse anymore. If I had to read about "Eve's whiskey colored eyes" or "Stephanie's unruly hair" one more time I was going to email the authors and ask what the hell?? I gather this must be a requirement when it comes to writing said series, but I can't believe that is true. I mean, if it is a series, and someone decides to read book ten instead of book one, that's their problem. Number the damn things then because quite frankly, I have no desire to recount a character's looks and backgrounds every time I open a book. With "In Death" you are constantly reminded that Eve was abused. Look, if in every book you have to tell me this, though it is shown via nightmares now and then, there is an issue. Maybe by now she has gotten therapy, but I could care less. There has to be a series out there that just picks up where it left off and moves on with the story without the constant reminders. If anyone knows of any books like that, that is the series I want to read.

Now, I was reading "The Help" at the same time as "Drop Shot" and that may be why I have a stick up my butt. "The Help" was an excellent story. All the characters were interesting and at times, pathetic, with concise voices. Personally, I fell in love with Abilene, the maid, because she was the heart of it all in my opinion. I was engaged through most of the novel and let me say that if I was Minny, I would have done the same thing to that wretched Hilly Holbrook. Nasty, bigoted woman.



I do realize my dissecting of some authors makes makes me sound petty and not unlike a literary snob. I am not one. Really. Or maybe I am. My favorite book is "To Kill A Mockingbird", but there are many books I love and trust me, I love to read. Perhaps I am placing my own standards of what I expect of myself on these people and that is not fair. Like Nora gives a rat's behind that I hate Eve Dallas. God bless her as she laughs all the way to the bank, but then again, I am the customer and I want a product I can enjoy. For  those who love series novels, good for you. I wish I could join you in that pleasure, but until I find that elusive, well written, non-repetitive series, I cannot.

Cheers!
MissFifi



Comments

  1. I hate that too, not only in books but in the general media. One would assume the writer of the book/movie/tv show would simply do their thing and let the reader/watcher go back to view the back story. So much is taken out in a rehash and it dulls the true experience that was originally intended.

    Good Post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …