Skip to main content

And it is finished!

My novel is now in the hands of my friend, after much technical difficulty. (Chromebook and Google Drive, you and I remain volatile friends.) I am so looking forward to his feedback, good and/or bad. I feel so accomplished. What most of you may not know is that I have finished two novels*, this one included this is the final edit I am ever doing to it, and both of them have been rejected. I find it invigorating. Why? Because I did something my father who wrote never did. I sent out my stories unafraid of criticism or rejection.
Do not misunderstand me, getting a rejection notice from an agent or publisher does suck. I mean, I am trying to make a living off my writing, but the fact that I even got that far only inspires me to keep trying and to keep getting better.
I am going to give myself a few days before I tackle my third novel. I did pick up the second Harlan Coben novel and look forward to starting that. It is nice to read with the pressure of a self imposed deadline to get a book edited and out. Of course, I know I am going to start getting antsy to get my angel story going. I doubt any writer every really gets out of their head for too long. Vacations and breaks happen, but I know for myself, everything around me can become a possible plot line or dimension to a character.
The biggest hurdle will be me transferring my third novel from Google Drive to iA Writer. The novel is done, but in a second rough draft versions kind of done. I have some serious plot changes swimming in my head so I will use this week to to hash them out, writing things down on actual paper like we used to in the old days.
I am also about to complete a short story to submit to Glimmer Train this month. I believe that if I  hone my short story skills it will most certainly help me in the long run. Especially if I get published in a reputable magazine like Glimmer Train, it will be good for me when I am shopping my full blown novels.

*For the record, my first novel that was rejected was a romance. When I re-read it last year I was horrified I even submitted the story. The writing was cheesy and lacked depth. I started more sentences with gerunds than one can find in the dictionary. I had submitted it to Carina Press, so confident they would love it. They didn't. I doubt I will rewrite that story. I can't see me as a romance novelist. My skills in that genre are clearly lacking. To use romance as part of a story sure, I can accomplish that. As a the main plot? I don't think so. Let's leave that to the Nora Roberts and Nicholas Sparks of this world.

Looks like it is going to be beautiful weather this week here in NJ, hope it is where you may be as well.

Cheers!
MissFifi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi