Skip to main content

Harlan Coben, Jarred Lunches and More

A neighbor recommended I read the work of Harlan Coben. She was keen on me getting the Myron Bolitar series and I hesitated because I really don't enjoy series novels. I do understand that some folks prefer that character's they fell in love with live forever, but me? Not so much. Anyway, I conceded and got Dealbreaker from the library. It was a fun and fast read. There were a few things I would have done differently, but all in all, I enjoyed it and am considering continuing on with the series. The funny thing is he is a writer from NJ and uses real NJ landmarks and restaurants in the book. It was funny to me to read about Myron and his girlfriend going to Baumgart's in Englewood. We LOVE that restaurant, but we live too far from it now to go eat there at that location and we always forget about the Livingston location which is a touch closer. Okay, back to the book. I have not read many mysteries and I like that the lead character, Myron, is a sports agent and former basketball player and has a sidekick that can kill you. It is fun. I will get the second book and hope Myron keeps me interested. Oh, I do have to say, when I read this book I recalled thinking, "Why do I make it so hard on myself when I write?" I wish I would stop worrying if I am being eloquent in my descriptions and dialogue when I am not writing anything that closely resembles One Hundred Years of Solitude". (Interesting book, will never, ever read it again. LOL) I need to just tell the story. When one gets concerned with if they are as good as other writers, to the point you become paralyzed when typing each word, you need to remember it is storytelling. No one is asking me to be l speech writer to the leader of the free world. I am sure all types of writers go through self-doubt and I have to say it is not a fun time. But I do think it helps to have these moments, then read a book and get inspired to get back to writing and stop worrying so darn much.

Let us talk about mason jars. I love them and use them in my kitchen, but oddly enough I never thought to use them to pack lunch in. Over at Krista and Jess they have some pretty delicious recipes that are perfect for the mason jar. The deconstructed sushi is intriguing. Jar Lunch

I LOVE this cowboy cape featured on Tales From the Seam Ripper.

I have never attempted entrelac knitting but this gorgeous little turban called Grey Gardens created by Rachel Price and Kate Burge and featured on Knitty is tempting me to learn.

Cheers!
MissFifi



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi