Skip to main content

A Different Kind of Beauty

Fashion is something I used to really, really love. The idea of being able to look at a piece of fabric and see a dress or a blouse wile most would just see fabric is quite the gift. As I have gotten older I realized there is not a lot of exclusivity in fashion anymore. There used to be, now one has to pay $10,000 to get that exclusivity. For that I direct you to the Hermes Birkin bag. I love the design of the Birkin bag, yes I do, and if I was ever able to have one, I would prefer it in green or black or orange. 


But I was not doing this post to discuss trends in fashion. I am more interested in certain people, who whether by choice or by accident, are fashion icons. Not the standard beauties like Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly or Cher or Dolly Parton. While those women have deservedly earned their day in the sun, I wanted to show some women who go off the beaten path in looks and dress. 

Tilda Swinton.


She is David Bowie's doppelganger, an incredible actress and defines androgyny. She is bold in her fashion choices and that alone makes her one of my all time favorites.

The first time I saw Rossy De Palma it was the early 80's and I was appalled that she was being used as a model. Remember, this was the time of Cindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley and more. Now when I look at her, I am ashamed that I did not recognize her Picasso like beauty. How defying the norm is better than following the masses. 



It is time the mature woman gets her due. Many moons ago it was expected that once you hit a certain age, you dressed like a nun and had to exact very reserved. I am being a bit dramatic, but let's face it, you had to hide your true self and follow society's decorum. Luckily, society bends a little better now. Let me start with this lovely 62 year old, Tziporah Salamon, who is now modelling for Lanvin.



Carmen Dell'Orefice is my all time favorite model EVER. She is 81 and STILL working. She exudes confidence and I should be so lucky to age is wonderfully as she has. One time, in an interview, they asked her how she stays looking so young and she had said exercise and food but then smiled and said "Sex!". That's my girl.



I am sure there are many, many more people out there that defy fashion/looks convention and those are the folks we should look to for inspiration when we get stuck in an artistic rut. The best of a different drum can make a big difference, believe me.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi