Skip to main content

Sunny Sunday, Google and More

The snow has come and gone and while we got a foot, it was a typical winter snow storm here in New Jersey.

Currently I am wrestling with not screaming at Google at the top of my lungs. That's right. Little old me battling the monolith.

Docs/Drive needs to be revamped NOW.

As most of you know I am working on a novel. The reason my novel, or I should say novels, are in Docs/Drive is because I have a Chromebook and you cannot work on anything else. I was annoyed by this at first, since Docs/Drive, sort of. Now, I am beyond pissed off. Every single time I finish working, I close down Docs/Drive and the next day I open it, the whole 300 plus page book is reformatted incorrectly. Chapters in middle of pages, indents moving throughout the whole book. I am so frustrated that I want to scream, cry and throw the Chromebook through the window! The best part is, there are writers out there who work on Docs/Drive without a problem so I am at a total loss as to why I am having this issue. I keep trying to work with it, reformatting every day when I go to work so more time is spent fixing the document as opposed to actually writing which aggravates me.  I have gone through Google's forum for help, but it is not like you get a Google Tech assisting you. You get the kind folks who were guinea pigs for Docs/Drive and they try to help you out and while they have been nice, I am not being helped.
First off, they treat you like most people in tech treat you doing the whole "Did you hit a button?" types of questioning which kind of burns my ass in this day and age of technology. The suggestions I have received have been: Clear my browser history. Didn't matter. Clear browser extensions. Didn't help. And my least favorite. Make different files for groups of chapters. Um, no. That will not be acceptable to an agent now will it? This has pissed me off to no end. Others on the help forums have lost full blown sections of their dissertations, book reports, term papers and spreadsheets for work. I'm sorry, you are a tech company that cannot get your document program to work correctly?? WTH?!?!?!?!?!? Yes, some of us are spoiled by the original Microsoft Office Suite and OpenOffice and we all know you cannot copy them, but shouldn't you design a BETTER product? And good luck to me trying to work on my story on a cloud version of Open Office. Once you upload your stuff to Google Docs/Drive, you are screwed. I have emailed them asking them how to get my document from Drive to someplace like Dropbox so I can work on it and not lose what I have so far, but I doubt that will work. I really want to get a hold of the person who created this program and explain to them that those of us who write anything are having issues. I want them to help me, but I do not see that happening.  Next time, I am going to suck it up and lay out the cash for the expensive, but functional MacBook Air.

Okay, enough of that.

This might be one of the best kitchen renovations I have seen in a long while.

These sticky lemon rolls with lemon cream cheese glaze would make me feel a little less annoyed right now :)



Cheers!
MissFifi







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…