Skip to main content

Beat Sheet

I am not a professionally trained writer. (I know, I know, stating the obvious.) While I did take a few fiction writing classes, I sucked at mastering the format and storytelling necessary for being a writer. I feel bad for my writing professor who was and is a published author. He probably cringed every time I fought for how incredible my stories were. They were good ideas, but I hashed them out horribly. Also, at 18, I was not going to listen to some teacher about what I needed to do to improve my work. I was awful and I hate that most teenagers believe themselves as so self-important. An awful right of passage, we lose out on critical guidance by being arrogant. At least I sure did.

Now, I soldier on, weeding through what I hope are two very good novels worthy of publication. One of them has been rejected a few times, but I can live with that. I finished it and sent it out. That alone makes me feel oh so special. haha Anyway, a friend from college, who was also in my writing class, and is now a cinematographer in Hollywood, good for him!, is giving writing another go. He offered to read my work, brave man, and I mentioned that I sometimes wished I had learned to write a screenplay because I am a lover of dialogue. Writing descriptions? I fail miserably. You read a book by most talented authors today and they can describe swimming in a pool as if it was a religious experience. I on the other hand state it for what it is, swimming in a pool. I may add the color of the water or what it feels like to the character, but that is about the extent of my reeling you in to feel immersed in the water. This is a dilemma and may be what prevents me from ever being published. Alas, I try to get better at that, but I cannot make you a promise.
Anyway, he asked me if I knew about the 70 beat outline and I said I did not, but would look it up. This proves I am an amateur and maybe should think about just being a script reader instead of a writer.

The format is helpful and it is basically an outline. Which I hate doing, but get why it is necessary. Seriously, what did Jane Austen and Edith Wharton do? Did the have little strips of paper hanging on their vanities marked "Newland Archer" and "Mr. Darcy"? Did Jane struggle with scenery descriptions like I do? I need to know this stuff to make me feel a little better. Okay, back to outlines. I do have outlines everywhere in a notebook, but they get edited and rewritten so much I sort of lose track. This is my own fault for not being better organized so I blame no one but myself. Of course, there is a writing program for the Mac that has a bulletin board where you pin notes about every character and certain scenes that you just pull up when necessary  I could so use that program right now. Note to self: Again, you are an idiot for not mortgaging your home and purchasing a MacBook Air. Now go flog your butt in the corner. I digress way too much here. Back to the Beat Sheet. This helpful tool is everywhere on script writing sites and fiction writing blogs so here are a few links.

WTF is a Beat Sheet?

The Beat Sheet

Kick-Ass vs. The Blake Snyder Beat Sheet

I am still loving the series House of Cards and for me, the best thing about the show is the dialogue. Snarky, witty, sassy and just downright brilliant. That's the type of stuff that gets noticed and which I want to master. One day my friends, one day.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…