Skip to main content

Time to Plan

The decorations have been taken down and still need to be boxed away, but for me this means it is time to plan the vegetable garden. I decided that this year I was going to attempt every thing from seeds. That includes any flowers and of course, veggies. The reason I am going this route is because last year, my hubby brought some seeds home around May and I decided to to just sow them and see what happened.

They all grew. It was a miracle. No seriously, I am not too green thumbed and now I will have an abundance of thyme, echinacea, sage, cilantro and what I am really hoping comes back is the lavender. Herb gardens to me are a lovely way to fill unused or ugly space and you really can't fail at them. This inspired me to do the same for the vegetable garden. This could be risky, but why not? So I have started to search out all types of seed companies. I would prefer heirlooms so I have checked out Seed Savers and a few others. One place that has intrigued me is Monticello. Thomas Jefferson was quite the avid gardener and introduced a variety of crops from overseas to America. Here is a bit on their Seeds of the Past and here is the link to the shop where you can purchase seeds directly from them. I think it would be very interesting to grow a vegetable or rose that got its start at UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Monticello

Best part is, I have yet to get there, but from what I have read and seen in magazines and online, I would adore the gardens and it would be a great place to take the little guy when he can appreciate the history.

Now I just need to decide what I am going to try and grow this year. I have never had luck with lettuces or cabbage so I may have to forgo those which is such a shame as we love them. I used Neem oil to get rid of the cabbage moths, but it did not deter them enough. I need to do more complimentary plantings like marigolds to help ward off the beasts. I did mint, which of course got out of control, but that did not ward off enough. I need more flowers interspersed around the veggies garden instead of just herbs. Though when my oregano flowers it is superb :)


Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. I forget how I found your blog, which is rather poorly done of me, however! I have been lurking a few weeks now & I enjoy the way your sense of humor flavors your posts!! It will be a pleasure to follow the evolution of this year's garden & any herbal returnees!! Crossing fingers for lavender...one of my faves. Sadly, I am herbless in my current place - and planning a move ...to a cold lavender unfriendly place :-( but warm with family & friends. Ennyhoos...sorry for the ramble, but I did think I should at least say hello from Land o'Lurking & wish you a happy gardening season!! Can't wait to see pics...I shall be revelling vicariously in your lavender!! Lynne, of Central NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lynne and welcome :)
    My lavender plants came from Cape Cod and have wintered beautifully. You may want to purchase plants from where I got them or ask them how they would do in your area.
    http://www.capecodlavenderfarm.com/
    A neighbor that is a Master Gardener told me to always buy plants one zone up from me because then you would know they could tolerate our weather if they are adapted to say zone 5,4, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! What a great idea :-) Lynne

      Delete
  3. You talk the talk but those spider plants I gave you don't look too healthy.

    Joey :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Yes, I did forsake the spider plants. So sad too. I must try again and bring them IN the house and not leave them outside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi