Skip to main content

The Weekend Has Arrived

And snow will be here later. Brrrrrr! Winter has let us know she is back that is for sure!

We just had a bunch of stuff like an old bed frame and old clothes picked up by the United War Veterans. I like that charities will come out and get stuff. I know that a lot of it goes to for profit thrift shops, but I would rather someone else get use of it since we no longer need it. I love to purge. I have no idea why, but it feels good to remove things that are just wasting space or have been forgotten about.

I have noticed an uptick on quite a few blogs I read about personal circumstances during these hard economic times. Be it UK, Australia or the US, it is amazing how many of us are dealing with similar issues. Oil and gas prices, keeping thermostats below "normal", food prices, living on one income, living on NO income, unable to find work or taking the worse paying jobs just because they need to pay bills, being without cars and lousy public transport and even serious health issues. What burns my ass is how little our politicians seem to be aware of this. Sure they tout the whole "We need to get out country back on its feet" rhetoric, I speak for the US only right now, though I am sure other countries hear the same bull, but Senators do not see the faces of their people. They regale those not working as to being lazy and entitled. I wish to God I knew who to contact because I would send them every blog I read and show them. I want to yell, "These are your constituents. The ones you claim are abusing the system and are lazy and do not want to work. These people struggling to put food on table, fill their gas tanks and stay warm. Read about their plight, understand they have tried every avenue. This is not someone conjured up as an old school "welfare cretin" getting their nails done and driving a new car will using tax dollars." I am sure those system abusers are out there, but somehow we need to make the politicians see past them and reprimand those that abuse the system instead of ignoring and then cutting services which effects everyone. Sorry, but I hate to see people suffer after doing everything they can and then they fall so low.

And scene.

This next bit is going to seem a bit crazy after my little rant because it goes in the opposite direction. I have a bit of an obsession with unusual appliances and especially ones that have an array of colors. This of course means you will pay an arm, a leg and a small child for them. If I were a rich gal and lived in Europe,  I would be all over Robeys UK for my appliances.  I will refrain from showing you the Aga as I think I have established that as my dream stove long ago. Seriously, just look at these cookers. Swoon, Swoon, Swoon!!!

I want this Everhot because we have electric for our stove and this is way nicer than anything put out by our standard brands here.


Rayburn. Just look at that blue! Mama is in love.



Stanley cooker. Beautiful!



Robeys also sells refrigerators, God help me. This Meneghini wants to be in my house.



And today's recipe comes from The English Kitchen. I have not made it, but it looks so comforting and delicious. Crustless Salmon Pie with a Lemon Butter Sauce.  She uses a tinned salmon which is very economical for many people. That is something I have not bought yet, but we do keep sardines, tuna and anchovies in the house. Give it a go this weekend if you can :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. AGREE!!! With whole post BTW except the color part, I lean neutral that way & add color in with small bits. But as to the first part, totally agree. And I WISH there were really a way to make folks listen up & then actually care. Oh & then Make changes. Oh for a magic wand! Lynne in NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magic wands would be wonderful Lynne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …