Skip to main content

Mattresses, Queen of Versailles and Tiny Houses

Yesterday we walked into Sleepy's and when the salesman asked me what we were looking for I said, "A two sided mattress." To which he replied, "We don't have any as they no longer make them."

Right.

They did not have any, but I had seen online more than enough mattresses that still come two sided. They are pricier than their one sided counter parts, but I want my mattress to last more than three years. I am not asking a lot. We told him we already had a one sided Simmons that was sagging and lumpy. He said we should contact Simmons. We will, but that still doesn't solve the dilemma of a finding a decent mattress.
Anyway, we tried out a the standard brands: Sealy, Serta, Stearns and Foster. Found two we liked and decided we would come home and discuss it further as these mattresses were both over 1100 dollars.
That is a down payment on an apartment in some parts of this country! Plus we had no desire to put 10% down to "hold" the price. These places have sales all the time so if you love a specific mattress and can wait, there is not reason to do that.
When we got home I decided to do research on the mattresses we were considering and thanks to the very informative website Sleep Like the Dead, we are going to go back to Ikea and try out the two latex mattresses that rated very high. We did buy a nice Ikea bed frame awhile back, but we never even considered their mattresses. Now we have to hope they are comfy, I like firm so for me they will most likely be great, and then we can bring it home and stop waking up with sore necks and backs. And the two mattresses we were interested in at Sleepy's? They have a low customer satisfaction and surprise, surprise, they biggest complaints is that they end up sagging. 

I watched two documentaries this weekend that were polar opposites and both very interesting. 
First was "We the Tiny House People" which basically showcased, around the world, people who lived in 80 square foot apartments in NYC or Tiny Houses in California or turning a pigeon coop into an apartment in Spain. The ingenuity form the homeowner and architects was incredible and really shows how you do not need so much space. No one is saying you can't have it, but it is showing how with a little thought, you can make anything work.
After dinner we watched "The Queen of Versailles". David Siegel, owner of Westgate a massive timeshare company, and his wife, Jackie, decided that their 26,000 foot mansion was not roomy enough for them and their 8 children so lo and behold they set out to build the biggest, and quite frankly ridiculous, house at 96,000 in Florida.
Then the crash happened.
In some cases, their story is like everyone else's, they both came from working class families. There is a huge age difference, which is sort irrelevant because honestly, she does love the old curmudgeon. But what we do witness is a very, very wealthy family having to come to grips with cutting back. There were a million things they could have done and didn't. Like sell the Rolls Royce an Faberge eggs for one, they fired most of their staff keeping just one housekeeper and two nannies who pretty much worked around the clock. Why were the children not being taught to walk the dogs or clean? This bugged the crap out of me because at one point Jackie states that the kids may have to work instead of expecting money to be there for them.
Um, shouldn't they know how to wok anyway??? 
The kicker for me was the fact that David says he never put anything aside for his kids. I nearly fell off my chair. How the *#&$ are you a billionaire and not have trust funds set up for your EIGHT children?!?!?!?
Either his financial advisor is a total tool or he does not have one.
I walked away from Tiny House People feeling good and intrigued by human ingenuity. I walked away from Versailles feeling like these people got what they deserved by not heeding the old adage, "Live within your means" They were not despicable people, just out of touch. I mean, if you have to go without a fur coat or three refrigerators, 8 people can survive with one fridge, but who am I to say that?, do it. Do it to save your children's financial future. Not your plane, not your yacht, but your children's future.

And that is that.

Cheers!
MissFifi


Comments

  1. I love The Queen of Versailles! Awesome documentary :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …