Skip to main content

Hello Again

I live in New Jersey. A rural/suburban area better known as Horse Country to some folks and I just got my internet connection back yesterday. We got power back on Saturday. Luckily we have a Generac generator that is hooked up to our electric panel and has a transfer switch and also runs on propane. I am beyond expression with just how grateful I am that we made that purchase.
Trees came down around our neighborhood, but no one got hit or hurt. We were very fortunate, but some people we know were not so lucky. A friend in Rockland County, NY had a tree go through their roof and destroy the guest room. They are all fine, but being displaced with three kids (who are all 2 years old) has been trying to say the least. Also dealing with insurance, tree removal and contractors has been no picnic.
Being without the Internet I had no idea just how awful the destruction was to the New Jersey and New York coasts. I had only seen the aftermath in my area and it looked like Armageddon with all the trees perched precariously on wires or downed on front lawns. The telephone poles snapped in half, dangling and ready to fall in the road because no one has been able to come out and cut them down yet.
Now it is snowing here and the wet snow and coastal flooding threatens our beleaguered state. I am happy we were prepared and still are. We had a propane deliver on Sunday which was wonderful because we were due to run out of gas on Monday. That would have sucked, but we could have handled it until they got here with our gas.
I am fortunate to know someone who practices emergency preparedness and we had gotten a good education and amount of info from her and so we were very ready. I worry now about those who aren't and never will be. But let's be honest, we can only do so much. Mother Nature is strong and no generator would have saved the houses in Union Beach or Mantoloking or Breezy Point. People have lost every single thing they owned. They have lost their communities, their neighborhoods, the lives they may have always known or were just starting. Ocean City, MD, Staten Island, NY, Point Pleasant, NJ, these are just some of the towns and areas that will never be the same. They will exist in a different way now or not at all. People of all socioeconomic backgrounds were hit by this storm so there should not be "Well, those million dollar home owners have money, so rebuilding should be easy." These were their homes, the place they loved to be. Whether it was a cottage, a stately mansion or year round or weekends is irrelevant. Sandy took all they had worked for and tossed it around like dust in the wind.

Here is a link to some pictures of the devastation.


Warm regards from the Garden State.
MissFifi






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …