Skip to main content

The Cost of High End Knitting

I am sure most knitters would be appalled that I am going to have a little jab at what some yarns cost. I understand there are people out there in the knitting world that raise their own sheep, spin their own wool and dye it as well. God bless as I would be a horrible spinner, I think.
My pocket book allows me the low end of the yarn scale and they have all done the job, though there are a few I would never buy again. One of my absolutely favorite soft affordable yarn is Homespun by Lion Brand. I have made countless scarves and neckwarmers with that yarn and people have loved them. Other favorite yarns are alpacas and cashmere and yes, you can tell a difference between acrylic and alpaca. I would love to own alpacas but that is a whole other odd obsession we should not get into.
My big issue is when I find a project I adore, I hate having to find a more affordable yarn to replace the $36 skein (YOWZA!!).  Look at this Pixie Dust Yarn by Knit Collage. It is just GORGEOUS!!!



And this is the blanket you can knit with said yarn.

I would love to knit that beauty, curl up and just chill with some tea and scones and a movie or a book. But then I saw I needed 12 skeins. At $36.60 a skein, you need 12 to make the blanket. That makes the cost $439. I nearly fell off my office chair. (Actually, I think I cursed out loud. Let us hope my son is not destined to have his mother's potty mouth.)They do suggest a more "affordable" yarn, Magnum by Cascade, but again, at $22.60, $271 is still A LOT for a blanket. 
Now, I know someone will argue that you want good quality and you need to pay for it. Right on. But I have never in my life paid over $200 for a blanket and I am not going to start now. The same with sweaters. I have seen countless sweaters I want to knit, but the "suggested" yarn ended up adding to over $200. Uh, no, I am knitting so I don't have to spend a lot. When I look at beautiful high end knitting work I admire it, but it is also irritating that a knitting project should be out of my reach financially. It is weird to think "hey, great blanket, but can't afford the materials." Sort of a drag. I get that the specialty yarns that someone is creating is one of a kind and so they should charge more than they average retail store. That does not mean I will not get miffed that I can't buy the product to make something ordinary like a scarf look extraordinary. Here is a great example of handspun specialty yarn at The Yarn Wench. God I would love to make a shawl or something with that yarn. Lament, lament, lament...
 I want to know who are these knitters that can afford these pricey jewels because I have yet to meet anyone who knits that buys this type of yarn or has it in their stash. For me, my wool yarns are the highlight of my stash. I love them so that there are times I just look at them and imagine what they will be. Yes, this is the mind of a knitter. Embrace us because it will never change.
Maybe if I come into money one day I will treat myself to high end yarn and make something like this blanket, but in the meantime I will be satisfied with my array of wool yarns, alpaca yarns and even my acrylics, which I bought with a 40% off coupon. :)

Cheers!
MissFifi




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …