Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Art of Description by Anne Marble

Like an writer starting out I get overwhelmed by certain aspects of the process. One of those is I over think when it comes to descriptions. I have read overwrought, mystical descriptions, One Hundred Years of Solitude anyone, that I could never write even if I tried. Nor do I think I would want to try. I have also read poorly done descriptions where the same adjective is used so much you never want to hear it again. That is how I feel about "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. Don't. Want. To. Hear. Ever. Again.
When I write, I start to worry that I am using "walked" or "glanced" too much. Should I always use "said" like Elmore Leonard insists or can I say "growled"? He says no, but I need to write in my own voice, not his. It does make your head spin. I get so caught up writing some scenes that I never know if my descriptions are  enough or too much or too vague or too lame.
Since it is not currently feasible for me to take a writing class, I rely on the writing community's internet presence. A post that I came across on Writing-World.com by Anne Marble has proven to be incredibly helpful. As I read the article I realized I am on the right track, barring a few necessary tweaks, which eased my mind a little. Good advice is always welcome here!

The Art of Description: Eight Tips to Help You Bring Your Settings to Life

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment