Thursday, September 20, 2012

Middlemarch- 1994 Masterpiece Theater

After yesterday's small twitch over Gone Girl, I wanted to share something I had recently watched that was way more enjoyable. I had the good fortune to flip through Netflix and watch Middlemarch, a fantastic mini-series done on Masterpiece Theater. This is a book I should read someday, but since I have not, I will just talk about the mini-series. I liked the topic, I liked the characters, even the awful Rosamond, but what I liked most of all is that it is a story about ordinary people who do not want to be ordinary. Something a lot of people can relate to. Dr. Lydgate wanted to be a world renowned researcher and instead just ends up a society doctor. I say 'just' because that is how he saw it. His wife wants to lead a society wife's life because she has no other idea how to live. Dorothea, I liked her idealism, but sometimes she was too naive, but it made her who she was. The choices these characters, and others make have repercussions and outcomes that are quite interesting. The cast in the show was excellent and if you ever have some time to sit back and relax on a rain/snow day even, watch it.

Middlemarch: A Study of Provinical Life

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment