Monday, July 2, 2012

Yup, this sums it up.

A June 8 post by YA writer, Natalie Whipple, pretty much states exactly what I have been going through as I edit/rehash my bounty hunter type novel. I have gutted full scenes and rewrote characters even when I loved something I had written in regards to description or dialogue, but it just did not work.

Allow Yourself To Think of Alternatives

I believe writers constantly question their path, their ideas and their dedication. We are solitary. We only have ourselves to answer to, until you have an agent, but I think even then, you are pretty much on your own.
I bounce things off my dog, my cat and my 6 month old. I say lines out loud to see if they make sense. I constantly say, "Write how your characters talk not you." 


When I learned how to knit one of things out teacher said to us in regards to making mistakes is "Do not be afraid to rip it out." There are times when you may have knit 10 rows and then catch the mistake. Sometimes it is not just an easy fix, sometimes you really do need to rip out all those stitches and start from the point where the mistake was made. Writing is the same way. I am no longer afraid to go back and rip out what does not work.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment