Saturday, July 7, 2012

The 'Busy' Trap - NY TIMES

As someone who grew up in NJ in close proximity to NYC, being busy is pretty much a way of life. You cannot live close to one of the most excitement cities in the world and not have ambitions, dreams, a desire to conquer all even if that only means car pooling your kids to three events in one day and then attending a yoga class.
Tim Kreider wrote a great opinion piece called "The 'Busy' Trap" which encapsulates how we all live today. Whether you are in Pittsburgh, Asheville, Los Angeles, New York or Ann Arbor, you will always act or say you are busy because if not, you perceive yourself as a lay about who should be trying harder to have your time taken up by the monotonous and mundane.
Now granted, I have a child so I am busier than Tim, but this comment is exactly how I feel.
"I am the laziest ambitious person I know. Like most writers, I feel like a reprobate who does not deserve to live on any day that I do not write, but I also feel that four or five hours is enough to earn my stay on the planet for one more day."
It is funny how one feels like they have to apologize for not having every second sucked up by some thing or other. I also think it is ridiculous how over scheduled children are today. Why? Most parents will tell you it is necessary for college applications. I bet a lot of colleges like to see kids that are well balanced. I doubt I would be exited to have an overly neurotic child doing three hours of homework every night after two hour of grueling practice and volunteer work. This has a lot to do with living near major metropolitan areas and the surrounding suburbs. Competition to be busy is fierce and I think it is very sad and telling of our times. Let's face it, we all need a mental break. We need time where we unleash ourselves from modern technology and obligations. time to read a magazine or just sit and watch the clouds. Sometimes we just need to not be 'busy'.

THE BUSY TRAP

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment