Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pixar Story Rules (one version)

A friend forwarded this about Pixar Story Rules to me and wrote "Seems like good advice (at least to a non writer like myself)".  I found all the story rules dead on and a few stood out. especially the two I will discuss here.


I am sure other writers find this hard like I do:  
#8: Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.

You hope to do better, but you panic, thinking you are crap. Then when crap gets published by others and does well, you wonder why you are worrying. We all have our own standards, do not lower them or try to use someone else's to get to where you are going. Must remind myself to move on everyday and not worry about "perfect". Perfect slows you down, screws you up and delays you from having someone actually looking at your manuscript.


That being stated so well some of you readers know I have been rewriting/editing a book about a Bounty Hunter I started a few years ago. The synopsis, which I suck at writing and will be doing a new one, had been sent out and rejected. The thing is, I so believe in the story that I may self publish it or once I redo it try with agents again. Self publishing is a whole other fear, but that can be dealt with if the time comes. As for the Angel of Death book, which I pick up when I get stuck with the other one, and FYI I would not necessarily recommend working on two things at once, I began to realize my characters voices were lacking a lot of oomph and was not really theirs so I had to trash some scenes and it did help.  
The thing is, you forget that you are telling a story and it does not have to be perfect or always eloquent. Sometimes a simple phrase spoken like, "Yes I know." can have a bigger impact then three lines of emotional drivel shelled out by the character. Simple and to the point can engage the reader easier than some National Spelling Bee words. Guetapens anyone? it is goog to bond with your thesaurus, it is not good to use words the majority of us would need to pull out a dictionary for.

Truth right here: 17: No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on - it’ll come back around to be useful later 

Yup, know what that is about. I have ideas notebook and half finished stories on my computer. Laugh with me please.


Even if you are already aware of these pointers that Emma Coats has been tweeting on how to create a story others really want to read, it never hurts to review and be reminded and most of all, be inspired.


Good luck!


Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment