Sunday, June 3, 2012

Foxgloves - Deadly and Lovely

I have a new found love for foxgloves and because of this I have chosen to grow them, on a mound, behind my hostas. Deer dislike foxgloves you see and so, to try and protect the hostas, better known as deer crack, I have planted some foxgloves. Aren't they stunning?? Pardon my propane tank in the background.



I would really like to get a whole slew of them going on that hill you see in the background. This falls under an area that we do not want to maintain much so I have planted foxgloves, astilbe, hostas and forget-me- nots there. I know the foxgloves need to be replaced as they are biennials, but that is okay. I see various colors just blowing in the breeze. Even though they are a very poisonous plant, it is where good old digitalis comes from. Yup, I am growing hearts medication. Regardless of their toxicity, I will have to mind them when the boy gets older so they may not always be in that exact spot. I am sure I can teach him not to touch the pretty flowers, but kids are kids and curiosity towards this plant can kill the cat, the child and the livestock. For now though, the look lovely and the bees are giddy.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment