Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Savages by Don Winslow

I loved this book.

I loved it so much that I am actually pissed that I did not write the damn thing. What drew me right in was that the first chapter has just one line which pretty much sets the tone of the novel.

One line. Two words. Just so awesome.

Fast paced with an Elmore Leonardish-vibe, I could not put it down. Sure there were moments where I had to suspend my disbelief, but it was not so far fetched for me that it made it difficult. The oddest thing was my perception of the character of O (Ophelia). She is described as a blond OC chick, but I saw her more as a brunette or Asian. Throughout the whole novel I could not shake how I saw her. In the movie trailer, Blake Lively plays her which matches the authors description, but I still don't see it.
Regardless, the book was great. I loved the whole idea of an ex-Navy SEAL and his best friend, a laid back hippie type creating some of the best weed, both of them cool that they share their best friend O,  and getting muscled by a major cartel. One of my favorite things was how the book would shift into a screenplay. Yes, the actual formatting would change. I had never seen anything like that before. To me it was fearless writing. The author tossed everything we think about how a book should be set up right out the window. I felt like the guy had so much fun writing it and that was very inspiring.

So if you are looking for a wild ride with edginess and all kinds of crazy, this is a book to read.

Cheers!
MissFifi


1 comment:

  1. SAVAGES by Don Winslow has received some wonderful pre-publication publicity due to its being tapped for film adaptation by Oliver Stone even before the first tree was chopped to lay the book to paper. Please do not wait for the movie to read the book.

    The plot and execution of the novel is simple enough, from its cheerfully obscene opening words to its apocalyptic, nihilistic ending. Two guys have made a fortune on the development and sale of two new strains of marijuana. The Baja Cartel wants to take over their business, handling distribution and sale while the two entrepreneurs continue to grow and harvest. It's a fairly easy, connect-the-dots storyline.

    ReplyDelete