Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Let's Talk Trash

In a somewhat joking fashion I said to my husband, "I have decided I am going to start writing crap because crap sells."
In a somewhat serious fashion he answered me, "You should."
Last week a friend mentioned the book that no one seems to stop talking about, '50 Shades of Grey'. He said, "Why don't you write some trashy garbage like that and make some money?"
I know why.
I have an ego. I want Charlie Rose to want to interview me and Neil Gaiman to consider me a colleague. I want to be considered a literary great like Virginia Woolf or William Faulkner not Nicholas Sparks or Stephenie Meyer. Yeah I know, she gets put down all the time, but too bad. I do not care that she is published and rich and successful, because when you write like someone who has never spoken the English language, you deserve to get some backlash. There are authors out there like Joey W. Hill that should be getting recognition for her BDSM novels over this other crap everyone is talking about. Okay, let me not digress. The other bee in my bonnet is there is enough bad literature out there, so why should I contribute to the pile? Yesterday, it hit me. Why shouldn't I contribute to the pile? I can follow every formula laid out by various genre novelists since they pretty much stay consistent. My voice would still be my voice except it may be in a genre I did not think I would get locked into, but at this point, who cares? If people want "light" reading, hell I can give them that. Does it matter if my Magnum Opus was titled "Skylar's Heart" or "Wicked Ways They Come"? They could either be about BDSM or global warming or both. No one would really care as long as there was a happy ending or sex or something that takes them out of the doldrums in the story. I have heard people gush over pure trash so often that I wonder why I bother using a thesaurus. If all anyone cares about is if Edward and Bella are going to get it on or if some character is going to get a spanking in the boudoir, why am I banging my head against a wall trying to create something with teeth??
You would say, "It should not be about the money."
Hey, I am too old to play the starving artist. Been there, done that. And no, I do not want it to be only about money. I want substance and life and legacy. I know what you are all thinking, "If your stuff is good enough MissFifi, you will get an agent, it will get picked up and be made into a movie or a best seller." Okay, but let us be honest here, good enough these days in this country is spelled c-r-a-p. All you need to do is throw a Kardashian in the mix and Bravo would be banging down my door.
This is not easy. I am a little confused and bitter and still trying to accept that I am thinking of attempting to go the route of "bandwagon". But I have to live with it and adjust to it and no, I am not accepting sympathy cards at this time.
I am trying to approach it like it is a business decision. Create "To Kill A Mockingbird", which would be a tremendous feat and accomplishment if I even came close, or do I come up with something like the "In Death" series by Nora Roberts? I think we all know which has the prestige and which makes the bank.

So now I must eschew my serious persona and buckle down to take one of my novels in progress and turn into something that will sell. I do not imagine it will be a cake walk so please, in the meantime, wish me luck.

Cheers!
MissFifi



No comments:

Post a Comment