Monday, March 19, 2012

Pass the Jell-o Past Me Please

I was in the hospital a lot as a kid and the one "food" that darkened my life was Jell-O.

I hate the stuff with a passion.

The consistency, the taste, so foul. Even if I was not a pesceterian, don't you love all the sub versions of how people eat??? hahah, I would never put that wretched, jiggling mass on my plate.
Regardless if I would consume the stuff or not, it does have any interesting history which is documented on The Apron Revolution. She writes how the old gelatin was made of collagen and the new more from scraps used in making leather. How gross.

Gelatin is also used in a surprising number of things. My husband adored this frosted shredded wheat cereal at Trader Joe's until one day I read the box and saw one of the ingredients was gelatin. We know stick with Wegman's or Trader Joe's Frosted Flakes. That's right, only non-sugared healthy cereal in this house! ;-) Of course gelatin is used in vitamins and one of my favorite desserts, panna cotta. Alas, no more panna cotta for me, but if you want to make some, here is a recipe from Giada.

Now, the absolute idea of aspic makes me want to hurl. But again, food history is fascinating and it seems this little diddy came about around in the Middle Ages. Wow.



That is not pretty to me at all, but out there, somewhere, somebody loves this dish.

What is incredibly fascinating is that people thought to use the hooves not just to eat but to melt down and create gelatin. What brought it about? Sort of like, who picked up an oyster and thought, "Hmmm, I should try and eat this." I need to get my hands on The Cambridge World History Of Food and see if I can get some answers and more information on what brought about some of today's "delicacies".

And that my dears, is that. Happy Monday!

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment