Monday, February 20, 2012

Home Sweet Home

For most folks, when watching a film, it is only about the acting and the story.

I am not most people.

While I appreciate an interesting story like The Usual Suspects or Rebecca or Wings of the Dove, I am also captivated by the art direction and set design. A movie can out and out suck, but if there is an awesome house or fabulous costumes, I can sit through it with pleasure. "A Perfect Murder" with Gwenyth Paltrow is one of those movies. The townhouse, exteriors were used only at 91st and 5th, that she shares with her devious husband, Michael Douglas, is downright stunning. It encompasses everything one thinks a NYC residence should have. I would have loved to watch the set designers create the space from scratch on a sound stage. Think of all the detail you have to be mindful of: enormous wealth must be subtle and ever present. Top of the line appliances, materials that are marble or mimic it perfectly...it makes your head spin.

Let me take you through some of my favorites.

Like anyone with a pair of eyes, I would love, love, love to visit Highclere Castle which on TV is called "Downton Abbey". Can you believe someone actually lives there???

Pomander Walk first came to my attention when I saw Hannah and Her Sisters. I would really love to see the inside of one of those co-ops.

Auntie Mame's digs are fabulous.

The Sheats Goldstein Residence is quite a beautifully designed modern home.

Hooked on Houses has a great section on TV/Movie houses. You really could spend a serious amount of time combing through these homes and sets designs on sound stages. Enjoy.

Cheers!
MissFiFi






No comments:

Post a Comment