Saturday, January 7, 2012

Charles Addams

Viva Charles Addams!



The man has a google doodle and I LOVE it!!!

When I was a young gal I used to watch the television show. I can definitely say that The Addams Family and The Munsters encouraged my love of all things dark and macabre. There was something incredibly alluring about Morticia Addams and Lily Munster. I really wanted to be these women dressed in black, adorned with bats and . This may be why my mother was not so surprised when I traveled down the punk and gothic path of my youth. But enough of this.

Over the years, Charles Addams had his creepy, kooky cartoon family appear in The New Yorker. I really should purchase a collection of works since I do get such a kick out of them. Plus they are right in line with my other favorite demented illustrator/writer, Edward Gorey. The Gashlycrumb Tinies were introduced to me by someone in college and ever since then I have been a huge fan. Let me recommend if you are ever visiting Cape Cod you stop at the Edward Gorey House. It was a divine experience.

People who pursue the quirkiness in life will always keep us entertained. I hope to one day achieve at least half of what Addams and Gorey have when it comes to delivering a good, twisted time.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment