Skip to main content

Movie Snob? That Would Be Me

I could go with Entertainment Snob, but we would be here for days and that is not fair when the holidays are have arrived. :) 

To be clear, I am not all high brow and no humor. Hardly. When it comes to movies I love the high end cheese along with the epics. Schindler's List moved me to tears and Old School moved me to laugh out loud. I could barely stay in my seat during South Park: The Movie or Jackass. The first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan had me crying and heaving in horror. Those are the experiences I want when I pay good money to be entertained and that is what bugs me about most movies and television now. Most of it is just pure unadulterated garbage. I loathe, loathe, loathe reality television. Except for Deadliest Catch. For some reason we are addicted in our house. Go figure. I hate all of our Houswives, the Kardashians, stars who dance, fame whores who try to "survive" or eat bugs and idiots who want to be idols. Harsh? Too bad. The world is bitter and mindless enough without that drivel to make those sitting on their couches at home feel somewhat superior. Plus, why get my ire up to want to pelt someone with tomatoes? Housewives of NJ, I am looking at you. We get aggravated in our daily lives, I do not want it in my entertainment.
As far as movies, how many remakes will Hollywood continue to do and lose money on? I am sure Fincher will deliver with his interpretation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but I am too cheap to pay $10+ to see something I already have seen and read. I will wait for it on Netflix. This makes me Hollywood's ultimate nightmare. It takes A LOT to get me to a theater. I had to think long and hard about the last flick we saw in the theater and it was The Fighter. Worth every penny as far as I am concerned. The Dark Knight Rises will be next for me, though I cringed at Anne Hathaway's scenes in the trailer. Then there is The Raven with John Cusack and I might, just might, go to the theater for that one.
I have also noticed that Hollywood is banking on fairy tales for next years entertainment. Two Snow White films, one is a comedy the other dark, and Jack the Giant Killer. Well, those won't get me into the cineplex either. I do think Charlize Theron looks and sounds down right brilliant in the Snow White trailer, but I cannot stand an inch of Kristen Stewart. Most of you know that I have never and would never read or see the ick that is Twilight. God Bless if you enjoy it, but I would rather eat a side of medium rare beef, I am vegetarian, then subject myself to that so-called "art". Maybe she will blossom in this film. Maybe she can act or maybe it just does not matter to many. 

The thing is, I do want to be entertained and entertained well. 

Cable networks seem to be doing a stellar job of giving audiences what they want. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and my current love:  American Horror Story. How I just adore the somewhat campy, original, twisted, implausible story lines and good acting. Jessica Lange deserves that Golden Globe nod, yes she does. I also have to tip my hat off to FX Networks for putting the episodes up online. We have basic cable so the only way I have been able to watch the show has been on the computer. I am a week behind, but who cares? The fact that they have shared the goodness with me is appreciated. I have tried to email them to let them know, but their link was down. Technology can suck at times.

When it comes to fun, silly films like Pineapple Express, The Hangover, The Wedding Planner, I love them. I  really do. These pieces of celluloid have their place in the world because we all need and want to laugh and forget our woes for a wee bit. If I do want some intensity, that is where Dragon Tattoo, Downton Abbey, The Forsyte Saga, MI5, Schindler's List and others of that genre come in the door. What I am not looking for or want is rehashed trash. With all the books out there in the world is Hollywood really at a standstill for material? I know risk is not on their plates right now, but with the last two box office weekends being less then stellar perhaps they need to rethink their strategy.
To amuse myself I just did a quick check on IMDB and saw there is a sequel to the God awful remake of Clash of the Titans called, wait for it, Wrath of the Titans. Get ready for more bastardizing of Greek Mythology. The Three Stooges trailer gave me a small coronary and 21 Jump Street? Really? Can I recommend some novels that could make some good films or are we too cheap to pay an author for their work? I wish I understood  Hollywood better, but they do not seem to want to understand their consumers better. Then they publicly bitch and moan about those of us that rather stream via Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, iTunes or go to Redbox. People want quality for the money and I do not believe that is too much to ask. 
Now excuse me while I go watch episodes of Arrested Development, again.

Cheers!
MissFifi




Comments

  1. You're not a movie snob at all. Americans are being treated as if we're mindless drones with the attention span of a gnat. Judging by the popularity of the crappy programs (and musical acts) offered us, perhaps many of us are. I've read some pretty exciting books this year that would make great films, even things that Hollywood would jump on, but they'll never get made.
    However, I am looking forward to the remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Gary Oldman brings it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see TTSS with Oldman. He really is one of the best actors around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…