Skip to main content

Ahhhh Design

The old standard theme rooms for baby nurseries do not work for me. Disney is a no no and anything too genderized, boy means blue and girl means pink, is totally against my sensibilities. When we found out that we would be put to the ultimate life test and become parents one of my thoughts were, "How to decorate?'

Okay, not really, but it sounded good right?

Actually, my husband is a comic book geek. I can appreciate this to a point. Most of his collection sits in a box in the closet and this makes me twitch. Reason being that some of the cover artwork is stunning and deserves to be displayed. So using my genius I persuaded him that we should frame a few to put up in the nursery as artwork. No matter if it was a boy or a girl, the comic books were going up. X-Men, Batman and a few others were chosen and framed. I have to say it looks really awesome and this inspired him to pull out his Star Wars bobble heads and put them out on a shelf in the room as well.
I know that as parents were are not to be too influential using our taste to define our kid. If I was really going to push ourselves on the baby there would be music posters, a skateboard or two and a drum kit all set up already. This would then set up our child to be my version of a skateboarding, Dave Grohl. A mom can dream can't she? But instead we settled for the economical route and used what we had. Sometimes a collection can work to ones advantage, thank the Baby Jesus.
We also hung up the Bekvam spice racks from IKEA and used them to display the books we received at our baby shower. Me being a big reader and writer, I am hoping the little one becomes just as passionate about books. Okay, I need to get back on track here.
Since we are encouraging the DC/Marvel Comics characters, I was giddy with power to come across these unique Superhero prints by Liam Brazier. I love the abstract vibe and vivid colors. And if eventually he does not want them in his room, we will be more than happy to hang them in the hallway or even the living room. I like art that can be moved about the house. No reason to restrict something to only one room or area. When we were at IKEA not too long ago they had a picture of a hand slamming a phone down. It was totally done a la Roy Lichtenstein, another fave of hubby, and will also be going up in the nursery.

I am not a fan of every nursery showcased on Ohdeedoh, but I wanted to share a slew of rooms that have been done with flair. Most people want rooms that can be transitional to toddler to kid to even tween. What I really like is the choice of colors, even the overly girly and boy ones because they are done very well. You could even incorporate a lot of the elements into a kitchen, living room, etc. As the old saying goes, "You've come a long way baby!"


Cheers!
MissFifi








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…