Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Words As Art

I have officially decided to divorce my sinuses. This is the second infection in about a month and a half, two months. Someone suggested I get an air purifier which I am going to look into. I have been using a neti pot which is sort of funky feeling, but it helps.

Writing has been cumbersome. This is because I gave myself writer's block by changing something so I deserve to be frustrated. I just keep thinking, "this too shall pass" and every other cliched saying you can come up with. Like I said, it is my own fault, but I gotta suck it up and get it done. I have given myself a deadline of end of the month> I am not sure if this is wise and who knows? I may end up setting my Kindle on fire, I doubt it, but it is in front of me and so it is the lucky choice. Once I get a move on I will be fine, but this stop and start and crazy story line hijacking on my part has got to stop.

A friend decided she wants to get a tattoo of Alice in Wonderland slaying the Jabberwocky. A search commenced and she did find something that she will most likely modify. During this process I uncovered a superb website called Contrariwise: Literary Tattoos. People have taken passages from favorite novels, poems, songs and illustrations and have made them a permanent part of their everyday life. I have never though of having words placed on my body. Sounds silly, but there are many great quotes and great lines in songs, but to want it there permanently? Never gave it much thought.

Until now of course.

I love the film "The Wings of the Dove" and one of my fave scenes is when after Millie dies, Susie and Merton are waiting for her coffin to cross the water to the Church. Merton's melancholy voice over has this last line "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest" Psalm 55:6 is where it originates from and when I heard it, I was moved. That is the one phrase I could imagine somewhere on my body. Where I do not know, but that is neither here nor there. In this busy world we sometimes forget the beauty of words. Hearing instead of listening, meaning gets lost in translation and we can't recall things said only five minutes ago. This attention deficit world has affected us and the written word. Isn't it wonderful when you hear or see a certain phrase or saying and it transports you back to a special time or place? No matter if it is spoken, handwritten, typed or on a Kindle, words will always move people. And it seems that some will even move people enough to have them become a part of them forever.


Cheers!
MissFifi


No comments:

Post a Comment