Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vacation and Irene

Last week I had the pleasure of renting a cabin with the hubby and dog in Asheville, NC. We had been there about 4 years ago and loved it so this time we decided to spend a nice amount of time there.
We stayed at this delightful cabin in East Asheville called Azalea Mountain Cabin. It was conveniently located to everything and had a nice size yard for Isadora to hang out and play in with a cool porch in front and nice deck in back. The other plus was that it was secluded which made it really nice. Very quiet at night. The interesting thing was we had no cell phone or internet service at the cabin. Thankfully the cabin had a landline if one needed to make a call for whatever reason.
We got to visit the NC Arboretum which made us both rethink how one landscapes their yard. When my inlaws came for an overnight visit with my brother in law and nephew we took them to the WNC Nature Center.
One of my favorite places is Malaprops Bookstore and we took the family there before we went and had lunch at Carmel's. I had an excellent fried green tomato sandwich and my hubby had a catfish reuben which he said was delicious. The next day we had lunch at Chorizo's which was a wonderful combo of Latin/Southern food.
Once everyone had gone we took a day and drove 30 miles south on the Blue Ridge Parkway which was lovely and I got to see Cold Mountain which is located in the Pisgah National Forest. The scenery is just breathtaking and you really feel a part of something bigger when the mountains surround you and you look down into the valleys or have a vista that goes on for miles.
We had dinner at The Laughing Seed Cafe one night and walked around the downtown area and he had a beer at Lexington Avenue Brewery. Asheville has become Beer City it seems so my husband was in heaven. I can't drink since I am expecting a baby in January so I got to enjoy the atmosphere which was just fine.
We were supposed to stay from Sunday to Saturday, but with Irene threatening to make our commute home very windy and rainy, we left on Friday. Which worked out best because on Saturday we were able to get some non-perishable foods and other errands. we lost power on Saturday around 1am and did not get it back until Monday at 9:45pm.. Not bad, sort of like Luddite living :) We did get water in our basement and that sucked. A kind neighbor who had power lent us his generator to get our sump pump and wet vac going again so that was great.
Now I am trying to get back into the groove of things with writing and doing house stuff.
Currently I am reading My Mexico by Diana Kennedy and it is quite the insight into various Mexican cultures with lots of amazing recipes.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment