Skip to main content

Jumbled In My Head

My mind is an odd place to be for various reasons.
Query letters, plot ideas, revamping old stories, thinking of new ones...how do I make it stop?
Today I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of a novel a wrote at least two years ago. I had sent a query into Carina Press and they rejected it, which was probably wise on their part. I am certain if I was to open that novel now I would be horrified by the mistakes I must have made.
The funny thing, as I listened to the song I had this urge to get onto my computer, rip open the file and rework the book. First off, it was a true blue romance novel. Unrequited love at its best. Or with my poor structure and writing at its worst. Second, if I was to blaze through it and fix it, would I want that to be the first thing that sells and get pigeonholed? Why is this a dilemma? Why do I care? Because genres are important to fans, publishers and writers. I can't say I would want to write a love story all the time, but if it pays the bills and does well, who am I to complain?
In truth, I would like to write what I want when I want, but there is an internal struggle to have to force myself into a cog in the book world wheel and be happy with it.
As for my current novel, I have given myself a deadline to complete, edit and send it out to agents for consideration. The "bounty hunter" book never got picked up and while I have reworked the query, that one may have to hover and never see the light of day. Which sucks, but perhaps it is better to walk away now and come back to it later.
I could be more disciplined. Getting up at 6:30, writing until noon then do my routine of gym and housework, but life intervenes all the time. Plans happen, shit happens. I know in my heart of hearts all this work will achieve something and the books will get done, but my impatience has gotten the best of me lately. To just be finished and feel that accomplishment. To send out the droves of query letters, get a bite, get signed and have contracts in place would feel marvelous. Alas, I am not alone in wanting that, so the competition is fierce. Especially with so much changing in the world of publishing.
I don't feel discouraged, just discombobulated. I need to get my focus back, let the characters use their voices and sweep myself out of the a rut.
I know I am getting a little disenchanted with my current story when I start to think of the next book, I have already outlined that one, or I think about a much older book and what could make it grand. Yes, I need to reel myself in and buckle down. Every moment of writing has a high point and a very very low one. Then again, this could be worse, I could have no ambition to write a word at all anymore and for me that would be much harder to take.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …